How Much Storage Does MSFS Require, and What Factors Impact This Requirement?

Nicholas Robinson Guest

Hi there,

I'm diving into the world of PC flight simulation with the Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020 release, and I've encountered a seemingly simple, yet crucial query. Just how much storage space does this particular simulator demand on a standard PC setup?

Considering the intricate graphics, realistic terrains, and the vast array of aircraft choices that MSFS 2020 offers, I'm guessing it's not a lightweight application. Moreover, are there certain additions or expansions (like World Updates or DLCs) that could potentially increase this storage need?

I currently have a 1TB SSD (M.2) along with an 8TB spinning hard drive for bulk storage - what one am I best using for the simulator? I've heard terms like "cache size" and "scenery packages" being thrown around. How do these technical terms relate to the overall storage requirement of the MSFS 2020? And, more importantly, if I want to have the best experience, maximizing all the details and scenarios, what would be an optimal storage allocation to consider?

I'm eager to ensure that my PC can accommodate this simulator while leaving room for essential system functions and possibly other complementary software related to flight simulation. Any insights on this would be invaluable.

Thanks in advance! Nick.

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello Nick,

Welcome to the captivating realm of flight simulation! Diving into Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 (MSFS 2020) is indeed an exciting venture, and I completely understand your concerns about storage requirements, given the simulator's intricacies. Let's break it down for you.

1. Base Storage Requirements:
MSFS 2020, as a base package, demands approximately 150 GB of storage. However, this is just the tip of the iceberg. Considering the simulator's continuous improvements, updates, and expansions, it's always good to allocate some wiggle room.

2. Expansions and Updates:
World Updates, DLCs (Downloadable Content), and additional aircraft can significantly boost the storage needs. On average, these expansions can range from a few GBs to 30+ GBs, especially when focusing on specific regions with high-resolution terrains and landmarks.

3. Cache Size and Scenery Packages:
Cache is essentially where your simulator will store temporary data for quicker access. A larger cache can provide smoother performance, especially when revisiting areas. Scenery packages, on the other hand, refer to detailed representations of specific regions, airports, or landmarks. These can vary significantly in size, especially if they're third-party add-ons. Think of them as high-quality DLCs that could potentially demand anywhere between 100 MB to 10 GB, depending on the complexity and level of detail.

4. Optimal Storage Allocation:
For an enthusiast like yourself, keen on maximizing every detail, I'd recommend using the 1TB SSD (M.2) for the simulator and its essential expansions. SSDs are faster, thus providing a smoother experience. However, for bulkier, less accessed content or non-essential add-ons, the 8TB spinning hard drive would suffice. For optimal performance, always ensure at least 15% free space on your SSD for system functions and unexpected updates.

5. Other Related Software:
If you're planning on using additional software or tools related to flight simulation (like flight planning utilities, charts, or even third-party weather injectors), they generally don't require as much space but keeping a buffer of 50-100 GB on your primary drive would be prudent.

6. A Comprehensive Guide on System Requirements:
For those eager to delve even deeper into the specifics of MSFS 2020's system requirements, we have a thorough guide right on our platform. I highly recommend checking out our complete guide on MSFS 2020 system requirements. It covers everything you need to know in meticulous detail, ensuring that your system not only meets but exceeds the standards for the best simulation experience. This resource is a boon for both newcomers and veterans of the flight sim world, making the technical side of things much more digestible.

In summary, while the base storage requirement for MSFS 2020 might seem substantial, the actual space you'll need is influenced by several factors: expansions, cache size, scenery packages, and other complementary software. With your setup, prioritizing content on your SSD will surely offer a richer, more fluid experience.

From my knowledge, these insights also apply, albeit with variations, to other platforms like X-Plane 12, especially when considering third-party content.

Happy flying, and should you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...