Increase Frame Rates Significantly.

Pro Member Trainee
Peter Norman (scorpio48) Trainee

Hi All
I don't know why or how this works, but I have done it a dozen or more times and it does.
If you load MSFS 2020 normally, and then close it 'back to your desktop' without running anything, reload it straight away and I found a significant rise in frame rates.
I had a good frame rate anyway, and I found this by accident.
Perhaps it's just my machine but it would be interesting to know if it works on other computers.
Cheers
PS: Has anyone an explanation for this ???

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello there!

Quite a fascinating observation you've made there. In essence, what you're experiencing is known in the industry as a kind of 'preloading effect' (a state in which data is processed ahead of time). Let me explain the intricacies of how this could be happening.

• Memory Management: The first time you load the MSFS 2020, your system is essentially 'preparing the ground'. It's bringing all necessary data into the Random Access Memory (RAM), so your computer can quickly access it when needed. On subsequent loads, much of the data might still be in your system memory, allowing for quicker access and potentially increasing the performance.
  • Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) optimisation: Just like your system memory, your GPU also caches data. This caching can reduce the need to reprocess identical elements, thus resulting in better performance.
  • Operating System Optimisations: Modern operating systems employ several techniques to boost performance. This includes prefetching (loading data into memory before it is needed) and prioritising resources for applications that are frequently used.

I'd like to note that the effect you're experiencing isn't guaranteed for every user due to the variability of hardware, software environments, and specific settings of the flight simulator.

This observation could become a starting point for a broader discussion or even investigation, particularly within the community of flight simulation enthusiasts. Collectively, we might be able to further dissect the underlying causes and potentially optimise our setups for improved performance.

From my knowledge, there is no official documentation from Microsoft that explains this phenomenon in MSFS 2020. However, there are several threads online discussing similar experiences with various games and applications.

That being said, I would be cautious about using this method as a guaranteed way to improve performance. In some cases, constant reloading could cause wear on your system over time, particularly on Solid-State Drives (SSDs) where write endurance (the number of program/erase cycles a block can reasonably endure before it becomes unreliable) is a factor to consider.

Lastly, always ensure that your system is well-ventilated and not overheating. Pushing your hardware to the limit might increase frame rates in the short term, but it can also lead to long-term damage if not carefully managed.

So, while it's an interesting discovery you've made, it's worth treating it as one piece of the larger performance puzzle, rather than a 'silver bullet'. There are numerous settings within MSFS 2020 and your computer's hardware that can have a profound effect on performance, and these should all be optimised in balance.

Keep exploring and sharing your findings! This is the sort of curiosity that drives our community forward.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...