WARNING ! Geforce Driver. Version 460.79

Pro Member Trainee
Peter Norman (scorpio48) Trainee

Hi
Thought I would post this here.
Installed the Geforce Game Ready Driver update Version 460.79.
It made MSFS 2020 completely unstable. Program crashed three times after installing the new Nvidia driver.
Rolled back the driver and all was well.

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello there,

I understand you're going through a difficult time with the recent GeForce driver update (Version 460.79), which is causing instability in your Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 (MSFS 2020). It's always distressing when a supposed improvement causes more harm than good.

1. The Cause

In short, the issue here is software compatibility. NVIDIA regularly releases new drivers to provide enhancements and fixes for their graphic cards. However, not all releases interact perfectly with every game or application out there. In this case, it seems the driver 460.79 doesn't mesh well with MSFS 2020.

2. The Fix

You've done the right thing by rolling back your driver. In fact, this is the standard procedure for this kind of situation. Simply return to the previous version that was working well with your system.

3. Precautions

In future, you may want to consider a more cautious approach to updating your drivers:

• Wait for user feedback: Check online for any reported issues before you update. This can be on forums or user groups, but you should focus on credible sources.
  • Test the new driver: If you decide to go ahead, use system restore points or full system backup to protect your data in case something goes wrong.

If you'd like more detailed step-by-step instructions for rolling back NVIDIA drivers, the official NVIDIA website is the best source of information. Please follow this link to their guide: NVIDIA Guide.

Remember, a well-functioning simulator is about finding the perfect balance between your software and hardware. Sometimes, the latest updates might not necessarily be the best choice for your unique setup.

From my knowledge, future driver updates should address these issues. But until then, it's better to stick with what works for your system. I hope this information has been helpful.

Happy flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...