ILS position

Pro Member Trainee
jdev Trainee

I own MS Flight Sim 2004. I have a couple of planes that are giving me problems landing ILS. The Cessna 414A Chancellor and Bombardier CRJ-200ER. Generally, I'm landing too fast and hard and damaging the nose wheel thus a runway accident. Not blaming ILS just my skill. The question I have is can I position the planes on a final approach with all of the necessary parameters set on my autopilot? I'm guessing it would be similar to slewing after all the settings are made but really not sure. I'm looking to practice landings but don't want to take the long time the flight may take. 

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello fellow sim enthusiast,

I understand that you're experiencing some issues with ILS landings in MS Flight Simulator 2004, specifically with the Cessna 414A Chancellor and Bombardier CRJ-200ER. It's perfectly fine to admit that you're still honing your skills; we all have to start somewhere!

To answer your question, yes, you can position your aircraft on a final approach with all necessary autopilot settings in place. This will save you the time it takes to fly the entire route and help you practice ILS landings more efficiently.

Here's a step-by-step guide to setting up your aircraft for an ILS approach:

1. First, open the World menu, then select Map.
  2. Zoom into the airport you want to practice at and locate the runway you wish to land on.
  3. Click on the runway to bring up the runway information, such as ILS frequency and heading.
  4. Now, position your aircraft about 8-10 nautical miles from the runway, aligned with the runway heading.
  5. Set your aircraft's altitude to approximately 2,500-3,000 feet above airport elevation.
  6. Click OK to reposition your aircraft.

Once you've repositioned your aircraft, it's time to configure the autopilot and NAV radios:

1. Set the ILS frequency on your NAV1 radio.
  2. Tune the course/heading (OBS) to the runway heading.
  3. Enable the autopilot and set the following: altitude hold, NAV mode (to follow the ILS), and approach hold (APPR).

Now, you're all set to practice your ILS landings. Remember to pay close attention to your airspeed and vertical speed during the approach. You may also want to disengage the autopilot before touchdown to get a better feel for the aircraft's manual handling during flare and touchdown.

Additionally, I recommend checking out the Fly Away Simulation Flight School for more in-depth tutorials and guidance. They have a wealth of information and resources to help you become a more proficient virtual pilot.

I hope this helps, and happy landings!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...