Help Please with Loading an Aircraft into FS2020

The Artful Dodger Guest

Hello:
I need help! I cannot properly install any of your aircraft! First off, I am not certain which folder is intended to be installed. I do not need help with the location as I am very familiar with the Community folder. I just can't tell which folder is the appropriate one to store there. So, an example:
jonx-optica-msfs.zip     contains 2 folders, Aircraft, & Screenshots.
I assume I am supposed to drill down into the Aircraft folder:
This contains 2 folders (html_ui & SimObjects) and 2 files (layout.json & manifest.json).
Here I assume I am to drill into SimObjects: Airplanes. Again to another folder: jonx-optica.
This one looks like a good bet because it contains several folders and files, similar to other items I've loaded successively into FS2020. So, I put jonx-optica in Community and ... no Optica.
Any help will be most appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

Sparky

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hi Sparky,

It's always great to see fellow flight sim enthusiasts expanding their virtual hangar with new aircraft. I understand your confusion with the folder structure and would be happy to help you get your new aircraft up and running in Microsoft Flight Simulator (FS2020).

When it comes to installing aircraft in FS2020, it's essential to locate the correct folder containing the aircraft files, including the layout.json and manifest.json files. Based on the information you've provided, I believe I can guide you through the proper installation process.

Here's a step-by-step guide on how to correctly install the jonx-optica aircraft:

• First, extract the jonx-optica-msfs.zip file to a temporary location on your computer.
  • You correctly identified that the Aircraft folder contains the necessary files for installation. Drill down into the Aircraft folder, and you'll find two folders (html_ui & SimObjects) and two files (layout.json & manifest.json).
  • You don't need to go any further into the folder structure. Simply copy the entire Aircraft folder, which contains all the necessary files and subfolders.
  • Rename the Aircraft folder to jonx-optica before placing it into the Community folder. This step will ensure that the aircraft appears correctly in your simulator.
  • Place the renamed jonx-optica folder into your Community folder, typically located at: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community
  • Start FS2020, and the Optica aircraft should now be available in your aircraft selection menu.
  • Please remember to restart the simulator after placing the aircraft folder into the Community folder, as the new add-ons won't load unless the simulator is restarted.

I hope this helps you get your new aircraft up and running in FS2020! If you continue to have issues or need further assistance, feel free to reach out. Happy flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...