Can you help convert the Corby Starlet model to be able to run in FS2020?

Stuart Ord Guest

I downloaded Fly Away Simulation's model of G-CCXO when it came out, and flew it on FSX. I owned and flew the actual aircraft at the time.

I've stopped full-size flying now as my age advances, and I sold my aircraft in 2022 and started simming again. I have FSX and FS2020 on my new flight sim computer. Alas, I can't get this model to work in FS2020. Can anyone help me to convert it? I'd really like to get XO flying in FS2020, I miss it! It is a brilliant little aircraft, in real life and in the simulation.

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

You've posed a captivating question that many FSX enthusiasts who've transitioned to Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS 2020) can resonate with. While I can't provide a complete step-by-step guide to aircraft conversion due to its technical complexity, I can definitely outline the general process and recommend resources to help you on this journey.

It's important to note, the FSX and MSFS 2020 platforms operate on fundamentally different graphics and physics engines. Meaning, there's no simple 'convert button' for moving aircraft from one platform to the other. Instead, the process entails modifying and adapting the existing aircraft files to make them compatible with the newer platform.

Step 1: Obtaining Permission

The first step to converting an aircraft is to seek permission from the original designer or copyright holder. This might seem like a formality, but it's an essential step in the ethical conversion of aircraft models.

Step 2: Extracting and Adapting Model Files

Once you have the permission, the next step is to extract the model files from the original FSX package. These typically include the 3D model files, textures, and aircraft configuration files.

Some of these files can be adapted and used in MSFS 2020, but others, like the aircraft configuration file, will need to be rewritten to ensure compatibility with the new simulator's physics engine.

The 3D model will also need some reworking to take full advantage of the advanced rendering techniques available in MSFS 2020, which is a significant improvement over the older FSX graphics engine.

Step 3: Importing and Adjusting in MSFS 2020

This involves importing your model into MSFS 2020 and making necessary adjustments to ensure that the model functions correctly in the new environment. This step can be quite complex as it often requires a deep understanding of the new simulator's systems and coding.

Step 4: Testing and Tweaking

The final step is to extensively test the aircraft within MSFS 2020, and tweak the aircraft's performance to closely match that of the real-world counterpart.

To help with this process, I recommend exploring resources like the official Microsoft Flight Simulator documentation. This provides a comprehensive guide to the architecture of aircraft in MSFS 2020 and is a must-read for anyone undertaking a conversion.

Remember, aircraft conversion is a challenging project that requires patience, but with time and dedication, it can be incredibly rewarding, especially when you can fly your favorite model in a state-of-the-art simulator.

I hope this helps and wish you the best of luck in your endeavors to get the Corby Starlet flying in FS2020.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...