Can I use Flight Simulator X Scenery add-ons for MSFS 2020?

Pro Member Trainee
RedMattie1 Trainee

I was wondering if I can use the LOD 10 World and USA addons on MSFS 2020.  Are FSX add-ons compatible with MSFS?  If not, I'll probably delete them because my hard drive is running out of room.

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hi there,

It's a great question, as many simmers are curious about compatibility between FSX and MSFS 2020 add-ons. Unfortunately, FSX add-ons, such as the LOD 10 World and USA packs you mentioned, are not directly compatible with Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. The two simulators have different file formats, rendering engines, and underlying technologies.

FSX add-ons are based on the older ESP platform, which uses .BGL and .MDL formats for scenery and aircraft, while MSFS 2020 employs a modern engine with new formats like .GLTF for 3D models and .BGL with a different structure for sceneries. As a result, the two simulators aren't directly interchangeable when it comes to add-on content.

However, it's worth noting that some developers have updated or converted their FSX add-ons to be compatible with MSFS 2020. In those cases, you'll need to obtain the MSFS 2020-specific version of the add-on, usually available on the developer's website or a flight simulation website like ours, Fly Away Simulation.

Considering your hard drive space constraints, it might be a good idea to remove the FSX add-ons if you're no longer using FSX and are solely focusing on MSFS 2020. Keep in mind that there are many high-quality add-ons specifically designed for MSFS 2020 that can provide detailed terrain, mesh, and points of interest to enhance your flying experience.

I hope this clears up the compatibility issue between FSX and MSFS 2020 add-ons. Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions or need assistance with anything else related to flight simulation.

Happy flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...