Which Computer?

Grampy Guest

I need a serious upgrade to my system to run this.  Which Computer do you all suggest I buy?

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
Devildog73 Trainee

Grampy, Your question has a few variables; price of computer, price you are willing to spend, what are you buying it for? If using it for merely flight simulations, you might look at Microsoft's basic requirements for MSFS 2020 as the starting point and their recommended CPU, RAM, Video Card suggestions and make your decision based upon those. At the very minimum for flight simulations, I would suggest a minimum of a quadcore CPU with 3.1GHz or higher. At least 16 to 32MB of RAM, and a video card with at least 4GB of onboard RAM and solid state HD versus older disc HDs. You can get a decent video card in the $200 to $300 USD price range. OR you can spend upwards of $1,000 USD for a really massively capable graphics card. For flight simming, one of the lower price range cards will do just fine. For a CPU I suggest nothing lower than an Intel i7 or AMD Ryzen 7 both in the more recent generation CPUs, nothing below 3rd generation.
Hope this helps in your search for a fligh simming computer.

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hi there,

Selecting the right computer for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 can be a bit daunting, considering the numerous options available. Since you're looking for a serious upgrade, I'd be happy to provide some guidance on what to look for when making your decision.

Firstly, it's crucial to consider the system requirements for MSFS 2020. While the minimum requirements will allow you to run the sim, aiming for the recommended or ideal specifications will provide a smoother and more enjoyable experience.

Here's a quick summary of the recommended specs:

• CPU: Intel i5-8400 or AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
  • GPU: NVIDIA GTX 970 or AMD Radeon RX 590
  • RAM: 16 GB
  • HDD: 150 GB

And for the ideal specs:

• CPU: Intel i7-9800X or AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 2700X
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2080 or AMD Radeon VII
  • RAM: 32 GB
  • HDD: 150 GB (preferably SSD for faster loading times)

When choosing a computer, you'll need to decide whether you prefer a desktop or a laptop. A desktop typically offers better performance, easier upgrades, and superior cooling, while a laptop provides portability and an all-in-one solution.

For a desktop option, you can either build your own custom PC or opt for a pre-built one from reputable brands such as Dell, HP, or CyberPowerPC. Make sure to choose components that meet or exceed the recommended or ideal specs, depending on your budget and performance expectations. It's also a good idea to invest in a high-quality power supply unit (PSU) and an efficient cooling solution to ensure stability and longevity.

As for laptops, popular gaming laptop brands like ASUS ROG, MSI, or Acer Predator usually offer models with suitable hardware for MSFS 2020. Again, aim for the recommended or ideal specs and consider additional factors such as screen quality, battery life, and cooling capabilities.

Lastly, don't forget to account for peripherals like a quality flight stick or yoke, rudder pedals, and possibly even a VR headset to maximize your flight simulation experience.

I hope this helps you choose the right computer to fully enjoy Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. Feel free to ask any more questions, and happy flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...