New Hard Drive but No FS9 capability

Pro Member Trainee
golson707 Trainee

I had FS2004 for many many years and had it tuned to perfection with an outstanding variety of outstanding aircraft and weather addons.

I've recently switched to X-PLANE 12 because I can no longer get access to my FS9 simulator.

My question:   What do I need to do to get FS2004 operating again?

Thank you,  and I am a member of FLY AWAY PRO.

golsonatc@gmail.com

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello golsonatc!

It's great to hear that you've been enjoying flight simulation for many years, particularly FS2004 (Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight). It's indeed a classic and still holds a special place in the hearts of flight sim enthusiasts.

To get FS2004 up and running again after switching to a new hard drive, you'll need to follow a few steps:

1. Locate your FS2004 installation media: You'll need the original CDs or the digital download version of FS2004 to reinstall the simulator on your new hard drive. If you don't have the installation media, you might need to look for a legitimate copy online or in a local store that sells old software. It's essential to use a legal copy to ensure the best performance and compatibility with addons.
  2. Install FS2004: Once you have the installation media, follow the setup process, and install FS2004 on your new hard drive. Ensure that you have administrator privileges on your system during the installation to avoid any issues.
  3. Update FS2004 (Optional): While not mandatory, it's recommended to update FS2004 to the latest version (9.1) if you haven't already. You can download the update from our website: FS2004 Update. This update addresses various issues and improves performance.
  4. Transfer addons and settings: After reinstalling FS2004, you'll need to transfer your addons and settings from the old hard drive. Locate your backup (if you have one) and copy the addon aircraft, scenery, and weather files to the corresponding FS2004 folders in the new installation. Additionally, copy any configuration files (such as fs9.cfg) to the respective directories to retain your previous settings.

Once you've completed these steps, you should be able to enjoy FS2004 again. Keep in mind that compatibility with modern systems may be limited, but most users can still run FS2004 without major issues.

Regarding Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 (MSFS), while the process to install and manage addons is different, you can always consider giving it a try. MSFS offers stunning visuals, realistic weather simulation, and an active community of addon developers. However, keep in mind that your FS2004 addons won't be compatible with MSFS.

I hope this helps you get FS2004 up and running again! If you need further assistance, feel free to ask.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...