computer specs

guest Guest

I think that I have finally begged and pleaded with my wife to let me upgrade my computer, since my current dinosaur won't run FS9 very well. I am looking at getting a Dell and was wondering if someone could let me know if what i am looking at will be sufficient to run FS9 at a high level. The specs are as follows:

Pentium® 4 Processor 540 with HT Technology (3.20GHz, 800 FSB)

Memory= 512MB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (2x256M

Video Card= 128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out)ATI Radeon™ X300 SE

Hard Drive= 80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)

Floppy Drive and Additional Storage Devices =64MB Dell USB Memory Key only

CD ROM/DVD ROM Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability

Sound Card Sound Blaster® Live! 24-bit ADVANCED HD™ Audio

Thanks in advance.

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
George Leach (CDR) First Officer

SO MY GUEST ???

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If you are buying a new machine, double the ram. Minimum 1 gig.
The video card isn't sufficient, get a ATI 256mb card, you'll be much happier in the long run.
The h/d will be more than sufficient now but what about in 2 years, a usually inexpensive upgrade.
Have them put in at least a 450w Antec power supply and you add a fan in the rear when you get it.
Check out hardware forum, a discussion is going on with a lady looking for a top flight computer, maybe you can pick up some tips.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Rambunctious First Officer

I have to echo Radar's obviously good advice. Go 256M graphics, and get a 500w PSU, and as much RAM as wifey will allow (1G+). Check out the rail amperage on the PS, and make sure it's not an artificial 500w PS. If you don't know what I;m on about, google is your friend, and yahoo is my best mate 😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

at dell, i believe the best card you can get is a 128, but i would strongly recommend going to

www.newegg.com

search Radeon 9800XT

why the hell would you buy a dell and then upgrade it like that, build your own for 1/10th of the price, and have the parts you want, they use crappy components that seem good, just cuz it says intel and 3.2 that dont mean all the components are good, hell even intel isnt much, but i dont want to spark a debate, we all know who wins in games though, but anyway, even having someone build you a computer is gonna be cheaper for what you get and you can start with a small hd to save money, and next year when black friday runs around, pick up a 300 gigger for 39.99 after rebate, just be smart about this, or buy a dell, it dont matter to me.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Hey, i got a dell, then i upgraded the video card, wasn't a problem with me at all. At this point, all i need is a better sound card, and I'll have a awesome system here. (note to the slow, i do not have a 9800XT, or whatever, i've got the X800PE)

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...