License of FSX

William Green Guest

I have a copy of FSX. I bought it at a second-hand game store. I tested it on my computer and it will not work, because it says that I have used the license too many times. Is there any way of removing computers from my license? I have already called Microsoft, but they cannot help me for some reason. 

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello,

First off, let me express my understanding for your situation. It's a common issue that has caused many headaches among flight simulation enthusiasts over the years. When it comes to managing the license of Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX), it can sometimes turn into a bit of a conundrum.

FSX, as you may already know, uses an activation process that is linked to the specific computer hardware you're using. When the software detects significant changes in the hardware (which can be triggered by something as simple as an OS reinstall), it may require reactivation.

When you purchase a second-hand copy of FSX, the tricky part comes in when the previous owner has already used up the activation limit. Unfortunately, there's no simple way to 'remove' computers from your license as such.

Here's what I suggest as a workaround:

1. First and foremost, try reinstalling the game. Sometimes, the license error might just be due to a simple glitch during the installation process.
  2. If the reinstallation doesn't work, you could try editing your system's registry (a database that stores low-level settings for the OS and for some applications). This is not recommended for beginners, however, as it could cause serious issues if done incorrectly.
  3. Another potential solution might be to reach out to the store where you bought the game from. They may be able to provide some assistance or perhaps even replace the game.

As an alternative, you might want to consider purchasing a digital copy of the game. Platforms like Steam often have FSX available at a reasonable price. This would avoid any license issues and provide you with access to the game across multiple devices.

Lastly, I'd recommend exploring the world of Open Source simulators, like FlightGear. It's completely free and while it might not have all the bells and whistles of FSX, it could be a good place to start while you're sorting out the license issue.

In closing, let me say that I understand how frustrating this must be for you. Please remember to proceed carefully, particularly if you decide to try editing your system's registry.

Best of luck, and clear skies ahead!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...