Xbox Series X and PC Software Licence Transfer

Neil358 Guest

I have MSFS 2020 installed on my newly purchased Xbox (some 6 months ago) - Can I install the same or similar version (using the same software/license agreement/code? etc) to allow me to use it on my Laptop (as I don't want to buy another license, as I will only be using either an installed game on the laptop or installed on the Xbox), as it is cumbersome to try and take my Xbox with me when I work away from home, and I want to be able to play the MSFS on my laptop?  And if I can, how do I go about doing that?

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Great question! This is a common query for many flight sim enthusiasts who're looking to enjoy Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 both on their consoles and PCs without making an additional purchase. Here's a detailed guide to help you understand the process:

1. License & Installation Overview:
The beauty of Microsoft's ecosystem lies in its Play Anywhere initiative. If you've bought a "Play Anywhere" compatible game on your Xbox, you can indeed play it on a Windows 10 PC without any extra charge.

MSFS 2020 falls under this category. Thus, as per the conditions you mentioned, it should be possible to install and play on your laptop without needing another license.

2. Pre-requisites for Installation:
Before we jump to the installation process, ensure you've met the following:

• A Microsoft account (the one you used to purchase MSFS 2020 on Xbox).
  • A Windows 10 PC (or later versions) with the latest updates.
  • Microsoft Store app on your laptop.
  • Adequate storage space as the game is sizeable.

3. Installation Steps:
Follow these steps to get MSFS 2020 on your laptop:

1. Log in to the Microsoft Store app on your laptop using the same Microsoft account you used for the Xbox purchase.
  2. Once logged in, navigate to the "My Library" section.
  3. Here, you should see the MSFS 2020 listed. Simply click on the download/install option, and the game will begin installing.

4. Important Notes:

• Ensure that you're logged into the laptop with the same account to avoid any licensing issues.
  • The game's performance on your laptop may differ from the Xbox, largely dependent on your laptop's specifications. Make sure your laptop meets the minimum system requirements for a smooth experience.
  • If you ever face issues with licensing or installation, a quick visit to the official support page might help. There's a plethora of information available to troubleshoot common problems.

I hope this clarifies things for you. Enjoy flying on your laptop, and if you have any more queries, don't hesitate to ask. Safe travels in the virtual skies!

Note: If you have specific requirements or additional details about your setup, please provide them, and I'll offer a more tailored solution.

Disclaimer: Always check the official Microsoft guidelines and terms when transferring licenses between devices to ensure compliance.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...