Helicopter Throttle/Collective Sensitivity Issues on Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo Controllers in MSFS2020

Stew Lindenberger Guest

I have studied and tried several YouTube videos about settings for the Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo controllers for helicopters.
When they were first available in MSFS2000 a couple of years ago, I could descend & land them fairly well. In the past year, however, something changed. I am aware that helicopters require delicate/gentle control inputs. But now when I am descending, the throttle/collective control becomes extremely sensitive. A tiny touch to lower or raise the aircraft causes an outsized result. It either shoots up fast or drops down very quickly. Even when I am almost on the ground, lowering the control the slightest bit causes it to hit the ground too hard, and causes damage. I am aware of the ground effect, but it is not causing my problem.  Very frustrating.
Any ideas?

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Given the information you've provided, there are a few potential culprits that could be causing the sensitivity issues you're experiencing. I'm quite familiar with the Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo controllers, and your issue is not unique; several users have reported similar sensitivity challenges over time. Let's dive into some possible solutions.

• Controller Calibration: First and foremost, always ensure your controllers are calibrated correctly within the simulator. Even slight misalignments can cause disproportionate reactions. Consider recalibrating and ensuring the settings match your personal preferences.
  • Controller Updates: Manufacturers often release updates that address compatibility and sensitivity issues. Check the Honeycomb website for any firmware or software updates for your specific hardware.
  • In-Sim Sensitivity Settings: Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS2020) and platforms like X-Plane 12 allow adjustments of sensitivity settings in-game. A patch or update might have modified the default settings, affecting your existing setup. Tweak the sensitivity sliders in the settings menu.
  • External Software Interaction: Third-party software might interfere with flight sim controllers. Ensure no other software is affecting the input of your Honeycomb devices.
  • Ground Effect & Simulation Realism: As simulators like MSFS2020 and X-Plane 12 evolve, their physics and realism settings get refined. Realistic weather and wind settings could amplify the effect of your inputs during landing. Toggle some realism settings to see if it helps.
  • Seek Community Input: Engage with specialized forums or communities who focus on helicopters in MSFS2020. They might have specific solutions for your issue.

While your problem is challenging, I hope these solutions help. If challenges persist, provide additional specifics about your setup, and I'll further assist.

P.S. Helicopters in flight simulators indeed demand delicate control. Make gradual, smooth inputs, especially during critical phases like landing. With the right settings and practice, you'll master rotary-wing flight in the sim.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...