Resolving Endless Update Loop Issue in MSFS

Alan Christmas Guest

How do I stop M.S.F.S. in an endless loop looking for updates?
The program suddenly decided to stop loading and instead searched for updates. It has previously been working fine for six months plus.
I've deleted my scenery add-on and checked the update to Win 10.

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello fellow simmer,

It sounds like you're facing an issue that some MSFS users experience: the simulator gets stuck in an endless update loop. Here's a comprehensive solution to your problem:

1. Clear Temporary Files:

Firstly, Windows tends to accumulate temporary files over time which can interfere with applications like MSFS. Navigate to your Windows temporary folder (typically C:\Users\[Your Username]\AppData\Local\Temp) and clear out the old files.
2. Check Internet Connection:

A fluctuating or weak internet connection can prevent the update process. Ensure your connection is stable and no other devices or software are using up your bandwidth.
3. Adjust Firewall and Antivirus Settings:

Ensure MSFS has been added as an exception in both your firewall and antivirus. Sometimes, security software might block the update process.
4. Reset the MSFS Data:

Head over to MSFS's installation folder and either delete or rename the Content.xml file. This will force the simulator to recheck its content when it starts next. Always keep a backup before altering any file.
5. Windows Store Reset (For Windows Store Users):

If you got MSFS through the Windows Store, reset the store. Open command prompt as administrator and input wsreset.exe. After completion, reboot your computer.
6. Re-install MSFS:

If the aforementioned solutions don’t work, consider reinstalling MSFS. A fresh install can resolve a multitude of hidden issues.
Lastly, you mentioned deleting a scenery add-on. Ensure to check the integrity of other add-ons. Outdated or incompatible ones might disrupt the simulator's functioning.

Do share specifics such as your system's specs, any recent third-party content installations, or changes to your OS or hardware. With added information, the community and I can give more precise advice.

Wishing you clear skies and smooth flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...