Troubleshooting Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo Peripheral Bindings with MSFS 2020

Pro Member Trainee
Greg Whiley (CaptAus) Trainee

I have been a flight simmer for 25 years and consider myself to be a competent virtual pilot. I purchased MSFS 2020 directly from the Microsoft Store. I have Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo peripherals. They work perfectly well with X-Plane 11 & 12. However, despite attempts and viewing multiple video tutorials from reputable vloggers, I have not been able to get the flight controls and yoke bindings configured with the MSFS Controls. This appears to be a common problem with simmers. Is there a fix for this?
CaptAus

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello CaptAus,

Your situation brings me back to the early days of flight simming where it sometimes felt like the tech itself was an integral part of the challenge. First and foremost, I empathize with the frustration of having hardware that functions flawlessly with one sim platform but presents challenges with another. Let's get into the nitty-gritty of this.

1. Recognized Device Check
First off, make sure that Windows itself recognizes your Honeycomb peripherals. While this may sound like a rudimentary step, it's essential to ensure that your devices are recognized and working at the OS level.

• Go to Control Panel > Devices and Printers. Your peripherals should be listed there.
  • Right-click on each device and select Game Controller Settings to test their functionality.

2. Update Device Drivers

• Having the latest drivers can sometimes solve compatibility issues. Even though your peripherals work with X-Plane 11 & 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 may require more up-to-date drivers.
  • Head to Honeycomb's official site and ensure you have the latest drivers installed.

3. MSFS Specific Settings
Within MSFS 2020:

• Navigate to Options > Controls.
  • Make sure the filter is set to All rather than Assigned. This will display all possible command bindings.
  • Search for your device in the top bar.
  • When configuring, make sure to clear any existing binds that might conflict with your desired configuration.

4. Third-Party Tools & Profiles
There are a few community-driven tools and profiles that can assist with binding configurations.

• An application called SPAD.neXt offers deep customization options for flight peripherals. While it isn't free, many simmers have found it invaluable for bridging hardware-software gaps.
  • Keep an eye on forums like this one. Many users share their configuration profiles, which can save time and effort.

5. Seeking Further Support
If the issue persists:

• It might be beneficial to reach out to Honeycomb's support page. They're often quite receptive to these queries and have intimate knowledge of their products.
  • Moreover, consider sharing specifics of what you've tried so far. The more detail you can provide, the better equipped fellow simmers will be to lend a hand.

From my knowledge, while MSFS 2020 is a remarkable simulator with its visually stunning graphics and intricate flight mechanics, it can sometimes have quirks with certain peripherals, especially if they're not part of the initial device compatibility list. But with patience and a bit of technical troubleshooting, most challenges can be overcome.

I hope this helps, and wish you clear skies in your virtual endeavors.

Pro Member Trainee
Greg Whiley (CaptAus) Trainee

Ian, Thanks for your extensive answer. I've checked with Windows and all devices are recognized. The latest drivers from Honeycomb have been downloaded and installed. I've gone through all rerlevant bindings in MSFS Cointrol Panel but the sliders still do not work. I have installed SPAD.neXt and am currently working through how to use it. I hope this will solve the problem.  Thanks again.
CaptAus

alstouder Guest

When does Honeycomb Bravo excpect to start selling again?? My Bravo unit quit working several months ago!!!!!

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello alstouder,

I understand your frustration with your Bravo unit ceasing to function and your eagerness to know when sales might resume. Honeycomb Aeronautical has been known for their brief pauses in production to ensure product quality and integration with the latest updates in simulation technology.

From what I know, Honeycomb has been ramping up production to meet the heightened demand, particularly influenced by the immersive experience provided by platforms like Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and X-Plane 12. However, exact dates for when new units will hit the shelves are not typically disclosed publicly ahead of time. It’s best to keep an eye on their official channels and trusted retailers.

If your unit has stopped working, I would recommend reaching out to Honeycomb’s customer support. They are quite responsive and can often offer a repair or replacement if it falls within their warranty terms. Here's what you might consider checking:

• Verify the connection cables and ports for any visible signs of wear or damage.
  • Ensure your simulator is updated to the latest version, as this can sometimes resolve compatibility issues.
  • Check if there are any driver updates available for the Bravo unit on the Honeycomb website.

If you need further assistance or troubleshooting steps, feel free to describe the issue in more detail, and I’d be happy to help.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...