Considering MSFS on Steam vs. Direct PC Version: What's Best for Beginners?

Pro Member Trainee
joranamos Trainee

I am thinking of starting on MSFS on Steam instead of buying the software for PC - is it the right decision?

Pros

1. There is no initial investment if I find that it's not for me
  2. I can start with the base and buy more options later
  3. It is a much cheaper alternative

Cons

1. Never use Steam before - not sure how to start
  2. My internet speed may not be good enough
  3. I am not keen on playing online with others - flying is a lonely thing: just you and the sky. All advice is greatly appreciated - from an old man to the new world outside there.

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

It's fantastic to see someone eager to venture into the world of MSFS, and your consideration of platform is indeed a crucial one. Let's break down your points, weigh the pros and cons, and hopefully, help you make an informed decision.

Pros of Using MSFS on Steam:

• No Initial Investment: It's true; starting with a digital platform like Steam can sometimes come with discounts or trials, allowing you to test the waters without fully committing.
  • Expandable Options: The modular nature of Steam means you can start with the base game and then add on additional content or DLC (Downloadable Content) as you become more engrossed in the experience.
  • Cost-Effective: Digital distributions, from my knowledge, can occasionally offer sales and discounts, making it a potential cost-saving measure in the long run.

Cons of Using MSFS on Steam:

• Unfamiliar with Steam: If you've never used Steam before, there might be a slight learning curve. But fear not, Steam has been around for a while and has an extensive support and help section to assist new users.
  • Internet Speed Concerns: Depending on where you reside and your internet capabilities, downloading large files or updates might take some time. You'll need a stable internet connection for the initial installation.
  • Preference for Solo Flight: MSFS offers both online and offline modes. Even though Steam is an online platform, you can absolutely fly solo without any multiplayer interaction.

While you've listed some valid points, allow me to add a few more thoughts:

Compatibility and Updates: Steam has an integrated auto-update feature, which means your MSFS will always be updated to the latest version without much hassle on your part.

Offline Mode: Steam does have an offline mode, so once MSFS is downloaded and installed, you don't need to remain connected to the internet to play, aligning with your preference for a more solitary flying experience.

Refund Policy: Steam has a refund policy wherein, if you play a game for less than 2 hours and decide it's not for you, you can request a refund. This offers some peace of mind, especially if you're unsure about the commitment.

Final Thoughts:
MSFS, whether purchased directly or through Steam, is a fantastic simulator that has captivated many, both young and old. Both platforms have their merits. Ultimately, your decision might come down to comfort with digital platforms and how you envision your flight sim journey evolving.

Do you have any other specific concerns or requirements you'd like to discuss? More information might help me or others here guide you better. Safe skies and happy flying!

Jim D Guest

I have a set of older Saitek controllers I used with Flight Simulator X. Would these still work with either version of FS 2020?

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

@Jim D.

It’s great to see you are considering transitioning from Flight Simulator X to MSFS 2020! Regarding your query about Saitek controllers, here’s a breakdown that should cover your concerns:

Compatibility of Saitek Controllers:

• Driver and Software Updates: First and foremost, you'll need to ensure that your Saitek controllers have the latest drivers and software updates installed. This is essential for ensuring compatibility with newer software like MSFS 2020. You can find these updates on the manufacturer's website under the support section.
  • Configuration: Once the drivers are updated, you’ll need to configure the controllers within MSFS 2020. Fortunately, MSFS 2020 is quite accommodating with third-party hardware and usually recognizes most Saitek products automatically.
  • Calibration: After configuration, calibration is the next step. This ensures that all the axes and buttons respond accurately to your inputs. MSFS 2020 includes a detailed menu for calibration, which allows you to fine-tune how the simulator interprets the controller’s inputs.
  • Testing: Finally, a test flight is recommended to make sure everything is working smoothly. This step will help you identify any potential tweaks you might need to make in your setup.

Compatibility with Both Versions: Both the Steam version and the direct PC version of MSFS 2020 should recognize your Saitek controllers similarly, as the core simulator technology is the same on both platforms. The main differences lie in how the software is delivered and updated, not in how it interacts with controllers.

Final Tips:
If you encounter any issues during setup, the MSFS community forums and support pages are a valuable resource. Other pilots with similar setups might have shared their configurations and solutions that could be beneficial.

Do you need further assistance with the setup or have other questions regarding the transition to MSFS 2020? I’d be glad to help further!

Safe flights and clear skies!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...