Optimal SSD Partitioning for MSFS 2020 Graphics Buffer

Stewart Lindenberger Guest

I am currently running a 500Gb SSD dedicated to be the graphics buffer for MSFS2020.
I am considering replacing the drive with a 4Tb SSD and dedicating a 500Gb partition on that new drive to be the buffer.
Would that cause any problems, as long as the other content of that drive doesn't need to be accessed when running the sim?

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Your query about using a specific partition of a larger SSD as a graphics buffer for MSFS2020 is quite interesting. Given my experience with flight simulation and particularly with the system requirements and peculiarities of Microsoft Flight Simulator (released in 2020), I'll share some insights which might be beneficial to you.

SSD Performance and Partitions:
When you create a partition on an SSD, it doesn't physically isolate any specific memory cells for that partition. All the cells are still part of the same memory pool. What changes is how the drive's controller maps the data. That said, a dedicated partition for MSFS 2020 can indeed be an optimal choice.

Speed and Efficiency: SSDs generally retain their speed regardless of which partition you're accessing. The performance of a 500Gb partition on a 4Tb SSD should technically be as efficient as a standalone 500Gb SSD.
Data Isolation: Dedicating a specific partition ensures that the simulator's data doesn't get fragmented across the drive. This keeps access times minimal.
Factors to Consider:

Overprovisioning: SSDs use a technique known as overprovisioning to prolong the drive's lifespan and maintain consistent performance. When you're partitioning, ensure that you leave some unallocated space on the SSD. This allows the drive to perform wear-leveling and other maintenance tasks more efficiently.

Other Drive Content: From your description, as long as the other content on the drive isn't being accessed while the sim is running, it shouldn't create any performance bottlenecks. MSFS 2020 will primarily interact with the partition you've allocated to it. However, if there are background processes or software that might be accessing the other partitions, there's a minor possibility of some slowdown, though this is generally negligible with modern SSDs.

Trim Functionality: Ensure that the Trim function is active. This command helps manage unused data blocks on the SSD, optimizing performance. Most modern operating systems support this by default, but it's always a good idea to check.

Final Thoughts:
To sum it up, based on the technical specifications and my understanding of SSDs, using a 500Gb partition on a 4Tb SSD for MSFS 2020 graphics buffer should not pose any significant issues. The performance should be comparable to your current setup, with the added benefit of having extra storage space on the same drive.

If you need more specific advice or if I missed any particular aspect you were curious about, please let me know. Happy flying!

P.S.: If you'd like more detailed technical insights on SSD performance, partitioning, or overprovisioning, I recommend visiting ANSI for technical publications or SATA-IO for detailed SATA SSD resources. Remember, always prioritize reliable and authentic sources for in-depth technical reading.

wstewl Guest

Thanks, indeed, for the detailed, clear reply to my query. Very helpful, and greatly appreciated.

Stew

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...