FSX Startup Issues: Desktop Icon Not Working & Error Codes Encountered

Bernardo Lopez Guest

No matter where I attempt to start FSX the icon or game doesn't start Get:

ERROR ID = 25
                  (Null)
If I try to use the .exe on the FSX tree under my C:\ I get ERROR CODE 8-c0000006
I've tried everything I know and have been advised to do, even checking the registry for the PartMng spelling fault.
I have got to the point of complete reinstalling after having had a perfect install for seven (7) years.
Does anyone know of a fix for this?
Berlopez

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello Berlopez,

I've been around flight simulation for a good while, and I empathize with your situation; it's frustrating to encounter these kinds of issues, especially after enjoying an error-free run for as long as seven years. Let me attempt to break down possible solutions based on the symptoms you've described.

1. ERROR ID = 25 (Null)
This error is a bit ambiguous, but there are a few things you could look into:

• Corrupted Files: Corruption within FSX's file system could be the culprit. Try running the FSX repair tool by inserting the FSX installation disc, opting for the 'repair' option.
  • Compatibility Mode: Given that FSX is an older title, you might benefit from running it in compatibility mode. Right-click on the FSX icon, navigate to properties, select the compatibility tab, and then choose an older version of Windows.

2. ERROR CODE 8-c0000006
This error tends to point towards an issue with the game accessing necessary files or even potential hard drive issues.

• Hard Drive Health: It's a good idea to ensure your hard drive is healthy. Run a disk check: Open 'This PC', right-click on your C:\ drive, select 'Properties', navigate to the 'Tools' tab, and then click on 'Check Now'.
  • FSX.cfg File: Occasionally, the FSX.cfg file can become corrupted. Locate the file (usually in the 'AppData' directory), rename it to something like 'FSX_old.cfg', and then try starting the game. FSX will generate a new configuration file on startup.

3. Registry Check
You mentioned checking for the 'PartMng' spelling error, which is a good step. However, there might be other registry discrepancies you've overlooked.

• Backup First: Before tweaking the Windows registry, always create a backup. This will allow you to restore your settings if something goes awry.
  • FSX Path: Ensure that the path defined in the registry for FSX accurately matches the game's installation directory.

4. Reinstallation
It's drastic, but sometimes a clean slate is the best solution. Before you do this:

• Backups: Ensure you back up all your add-ons, configurations, and other customized settings.
  • Clean Uninstall: Use programs like 'Revo Uninstaller' to ensure every bit of FSX is removed before a fresh install. This eliminates potential remnants causing conflicts.

Lastly, if your issue persists, or if you can provide more specific details about the exact nature of the problem or changes to your system prior to the errors, I'd be happy to delve deeper. FSX, though a classic, can sometimes be quirky. If you find that this issue continues, you might consider updating to newer platforms like Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 or X-Plane 12, as they offer enhanced stability and improved graphics.

Hope this helps. Safe virtual skies!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...