Integrating Aircraft Visuals in a Multi-Projector X-Plane Setup

Peter Dobson Guest

I have a 180-degree screen fed by 3 off projectors each providing 60 degrees and corrected by Immersive Display Pro. This works well, but the one thing I cannot work out how to achieve is to show in the projected images the wings and engine pods of the Piper PA34 I am simulating left and right. I use a crashed fuselage including the instrument panel and controls. The front view needs to be scenery only without showing any aspect of the airframe at all. I have seen this done by other people but I cannot work out how to do it myself.

Any help would be welcome.

Best Regards, Peter Dobson.

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello Peter,

Your query about integrating the wings and engine pods of the Piper PA34 into your X-Plane setup with a 180-degree projector screen is quite intriguing. Let's delve into a solution for this immersive experience.

First, to display the aircraft's wings and engine pods on the screens, you'll need to adjust the camera or "view" settings within X-Plane.

1. Step 1: Adjusting the Camera Views
    1. Open the 'Views' menu in X-Plane.
    2. Select 'External' or 'Custom Views'.
    3. Position the camera to focus on the wings or engine pods.
    4. Save this view for quick access.
  2. Step 2: Fine-Tuning for Each Projector
    Adjust the view angle for each projector, ensuring a cohesive image across the screen.

3. Step 3: Front View without Airframe
    Set a custom view from the cockpit looking forward, without the dashboard, through the 'Internal' camera settings.

Advanced Settings
Explore the 'Data Output' options in X-Plane for more detailed control over what is displayed on each screen.

Additional Tips:

• Consider third-party plugins for more control over camera views and scenery projection.
  • Visit forums like X-Plane.org for advice from experienced users who may have tackled similar challenges.

Remember, achieving the perfect setup often requires patience and experimentation.

This approach is also applicable to platforms like Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 or X-Plane 12, though specific steps may vary.

Feel free to reach out for more assistance or provide further details of your setup for a more tailored response.

Peter Dobson Guest

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply. I think you may have missed what I am actually trying to achieve. I have played with views and view angles. Which is great for a single view, But:

What I want to achieve is a left engine pod and wing on the left projector, a right engine pod and wing on the right projector, and nothing but scenery on the forward projector all at the same time. And then blend these three simultaneous views so that the scenery across all three projectors is seamless.

Once set up I don't want this format to change at all. So not really interested in setting up "views" ........

I am guessing this means playing around with the aircraft model itself. However, I am worried that doing that will change the flight model for the aircraft. I.e. delete everything in front of the pilot, including the cabin roof and doors.

Any further ideas you can point me towards??

BR Pete D.

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello again, Peter,

Thank you for clarifying your goal. Your project is indeed a unique challenge, but I believe I can provide some insights to help you achieve this seamless integration of specific aircraft parts across multiple projectors in X-Plane 12.

Firstly, let's address your concern about altering the aircraft model and its potential impact on the flight model. Modifying the 3D model of the Piper PA34 in a way that only affects the visual elements, and not the flight dynamics, is feasible. This process is known as 'model slicing'. However, it requires meticulous attention to ensure the integrity of the flight model is maintained.

Model Slicing Approach:

• Use a 3D Modeling Tool: Tools like Blender can be used to edit the aircraft model. You'll be looking to remove the visual elements that you don't want to appear in each projector's view.
  • Preserve Flight Dynamics: When editing the model, ensure that only the visual mesh is altered. The physical model, which affects flight dynamics, should remain untouched.
  • Test Rigorously: After each modification, test the aircraft within X-Plane to ensure that flight characteristics remain unchanged.

Alternative Approach - Custom Camera Views:
Even though you've mentioned not wanting to adjust views, there's a nuanced approach that might still be relevant. X-Plane allows for advanced customization of camera views which can be configured to only display certain parts of the aircraft.

• Custom View for Each Projector: Set up a custom camera view that focuses on the left wing and engine pod for the left projector, and similarly for the right. For the front, configure a view that excludes the aircraft's nose.
  • Locking Views: Once these views are set up, they can be locked to prevent any changes during simulation.

Software Solutions:
There are software solutions that might help in achieving this setup without directly modifying the aircraft model:

• Projection Mapping Software: Tools like Immersive Display Pro or Warpalizer can help in blending the edges of the projected images for a seamless experience.
  • Custom Plugins: Some plugins are designed for multi-projector setups and might offer more flexibility in what's displayed on each screen.

Conclusion:
Your project is certainly an ambitious one, and it blends the art of 3D modeling with the technical aspects of flight simulation. Whether you choose to modify the aircraft model or utilize advanced camera and projection techniques, each method requires a careful approach to maintain a realistic flight experience.

Feel free to provide more specifics about your setup, and I'll be happy to dive even deeper into potential solutions. Your journey in enhancing flight simulation realism is a testament to the capabilities and flexibility of platforms like X-Plane 12.

Best of luck, and clear skies!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...