Troubleshooting FSX-SE Crashes and Launch Issues Post-Windows 11 Update

RUDY S Guest

Initially, my FSX-se would go back to the desktop screen mid-flight. Now it will only show the splash screen for a second or 2 and go back to the desktop screen. I have deleted the FSX.cfg file several times since and reinstalled FSX from Steam several times now each time deleting the FSX.cfg file but it still will not start. This all started after the most recent Winn 11 update. Do I have to delete everything in FSX and reinstall fully? I have various add-ons and don't look forward to reinstalling every add-on I have installed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated from you experts out there!

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

I understand your frustration with FSX-SE crashing to the desktop and then failing to start. You're not alone in facing this issue, especially after the recent Windows 11 update. Let's dive into some potential solutions.

1. Disabling VPN:
Surprisingly, a common culprit for this kind of issue is the use of a Virtual Private Network (VPN). If you're running a VPN, try turning it off before launching FSX-SE. Here's a quick guide:

• Turn off your VPN.
  • Run FSX-SE. It should ideally launch without issues.
  • Once FSX-SE is running, you can turn your VPN back on if needed.

This fix has worked for others who faced similar issues post the Windows 11 update.

2. Internet Explorer Dependency:
FSX relies on Internet Explorer for its internet functionalities. However, Internet Explorer isn't fully supported on Windows 11. This can lead to various malfunctions in apps like FSX. To circumvent this, consider creating a shortcut for FSX directly from its directory. This method is particularly useful if you don't require internet-dependent features like real-time weather updates in FSX.

3. Clean Installation:
If the above methods don't resolve the issue, a clean installation of FSX-SE might be necessary. While this is a more time-consuming process, especially with numerous add-ons, it could be the most effective solution. Before you proceed, ensure to back up your add-ons and settings.

4. System Compatibility:
It's always good to check if your system specs still align with FSX-SE requirements, especially post a significant update like Windows 11. An overlooked incompatibility might be the cause of your troubles.

5. Community Support:
Lastly, engage with the FSX community. Platforms like Fly Away Simulation are rich with experienced users who might have encountered and solved similar issues.

If you provide more details on any error messages or specific behaviors, I could offer more targeted advice. FSX-SE, like its counterparts Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and X-Plane 12, can be sensitive to system changes, but there's usually a workaround or fix to be found.

Hope this helps, and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...