FSX Running Out of Memory Windows 11

Pro Member Trainee
Devildog73 Trainee

This is CRAZY! I have a Dell Inspiron with i7 4770S CPU, 16G RAM, GT1030 Video Card. Windows 10. It runs FSX with all sliders MAX'D out and gets 50 FPS.
I have another "gaming" PC with Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, 32G RAM, GTX 1050Ti Video Card, and Windows 11.
Both computers have paging files set the same; 9600-12228 VAS.
One would think the Ryzen PC would run FSX better than the lesser Dell Inspiron.
NOT so. It keeps running out of memory and CTD.
Is anyone else having issues running FSX on Windows 11 machine?
Any ideas on how to make FSX run better?
Do I switch back to Windows 10 on the gaming PC?
Thanks to all who answer.
Lee

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
Devildog73 Trainee

Okay Guys and Gals,
I reverted back to Windows 10. Man oh Man what a difference!
I have Orbx scenery, mesh and landclasses.
I have my sliders MAXED out.
I am getting 60 to 100 plus FPS!!!
The scenry looks absolutely wonderful!
Almost like being there in real life.....
My advise, DO NOT GO TO WINDOWS 11 until you have to IF you are flying FSX...
Lee

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hi Lee,

Your issue with FSX (Microsoft Flight Simulator X) running out of memory on Windows 11 is certainly perplexing, but not unheard of. Let's delve into some possible reasons and solutions.

1. Windows 11 Compatibility
The switch from Windows 10 to Windows 11 might introduce some compatibility issues, especially with an older title like FSX. You already noticed a performance improvement when reverting back to Windows 10, and that's primarily because FSX was designed to operate on older OS versions.

• Windows 11 might have different memory management, which could be affecting FSX.
  • There could be driver incompatibilities with Windows 11.

2. Graphics Card Drivers
It's essential to make sure that your graphics card drivers are up to date and compatible with Windows 11. For the GTX 1050Ti, you can find the latest drivers on NVIDIA's website.

3. FSX Configuration
Adjusting some of the FSX settings might alleviate the memory issues. Here's what you can do:

1. Reduce Scenery Complexity: Though you might have the sliders maxed out on the other system, you can try reducing them slightly on the Ryzen PC.
  2. Adjust Virtual Address Space (VAS): The 9600-12228 VAS might need fine-tuning. Monitor the VAS usage and adjust accordingly.
  3. Use DirectX 10 Preview Mode: This might provide better stability.

4. Check for Windows 11 Updates
Windows 11 is still relatively new, and Microsoft might release patches that could resolve compatibility issues with FSX.

5. Other Software Conflicts
Make sure to check for background applications that might be using resources unnecessarily, such as other gaming software or memory-intensive applications.

From my knowledge, these suggestions might apply to other platforms like Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and X-Plane 12, but since your question is specific to FSX, we are focusing on that.

Note: If the issue persists, and since you already noticed a performance improvement on Windows 10, it might be wise to stick with it for the time being, especially if FSX is your primary use for that system.

If you have any more questions or need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...