Troubleshooting Unexpected Freezes: Optimizing MSFS 2020 for Improved Stability

Pro Member Trainee
flightech Trainee

having problems with the MSFS 2020 PC configuration just freezing tried everything I could think of but it still does it from time to time and when you least expect it and you have to go into Task Manager to shut it down. I am baffled does anyone have any ideas I have tried everything off of YouTube they had and it still does it. my computer was built for the program so it should be capable of handling it. Anything anyone may know would surely be appreciated. Thanks.

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

I understand how frustrating it can be when MSFS 2020 unexpectedly freezes, especially considering your system was tailored for it. Let’s delve into a multifaceted approach to potentially resolve these interruptions.

1. Check System Requirements:
Firstly, ensure your PC strictly meets or exceeds the official system requirements for MSFS 2020. Here’s what you should verify:

• CPU (Central Processing Unit): Adequate processing power is crucial.
  • GPU (Graphics Processing Unit): Ensure it's not just compatible but also has the latest driver updates.
  • RAM (Random Access Memory): Crucial for multitasking and load times.
  • Storage: SSDs (Solid State Drives) significantly reduce load times compared to HDDs.

2. Update Your Drivers:
Outdated drivers can often cause performance issues. Make sure that your GPU drivers are up-to-date. You can usually find these on the manufacturer's website, whether it’s NVIDIA or AMD.

3. Windows Updates:
Keeping your operating system up to date is essential not only for security but also for stability. Check for pending updates in your system settings.

4. Optimize MSFS Settings:
Adjusting the in-game settings can sometimes yield better performance. Consider lowering graphics settings such as texture resolution and shadow quality to see if it improves stability.

5. Background Processes:
Ensure there are no heavy background tasks running that could be eating into your resources. You can check this via the Task Manager.

6. Thermal Throttling:
Overheating can cause your system to throttle performance or freeze. Monitor your CPU and GPU temperatures to ensure they're within safe operational limits.

7. Check for Software Conflicts:
Sometimes, other software on your system can conflict with your games. Consider performing a clean boot of your system to check if the issue persists with minimal drivers and programs running.

8. Reinstall MSFS 2020:
As a last resort, a fresh install could resolve underlying issues not caught by other troubleshooting steps. Remember to back up your data first!

Further Assistance:
If these steps don’t alleviate the issue, you might want to visit the official MSFS forum or contact their support for more tailored troubleshooting.

I hope these steps help you achieve a smoother experience with MSFS 2020. Remember, every setup is unique, and sometimes what works for one system may not work for another. Patience and systematic troubleshooting are your best tools here.

Happy flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...