FS startup on primary DVI output of dualview nVidia 5200?

Pro Member Trainee
carteriii Trainee

I am completely new to FS so please bear with me if I'm being an idiot. In short, FS2004 starts up on what I believe to be the "wrong" monitor and I'd like to change this.

More specifically, I have two monitors attached to an nVidia GeForce FX 5200 card in Dualview mode. The better monitor is attached to the "Digital Display"/DVI port, and I use that as my primary display. Having said that, the digital display monitor is always listed as monitor #2 in nVidia software and the windows display properties. This has never before been an issue for me, but I think it may now be relevant with FS2004.

Whenever I start FS2004, it starts in the secondary/analog display. I'm assuming this is because the secondary/analog display is still considered monitor #1, though that is only a guess on my part. As I mentioned above, the digital display with the DVI connection is designated as the "Primary Monitor" and for all other programs it acts accordingly, but for some reason FS2004 wants to startup on the secondary/analog display. As you can imagine, I'd prefer to use my better monitor with the DVI connection. If I use the windowed mode and drag the FS2004 window into the primary/digital display and then switch to full screen mode, it will properly use that monitor, but I'd like to have FS2004 start on that monitor without requiring me to go through this window-moving process everytime.

Is it possible to change this situation such that FS2004 starts on my primary/digital display? I don't know if this can be done with a FS setting/preference, or whether I have to do something else such that my primary/digital display is recognized as monitor #1 rather than monitor #2.

Thanks in advance.

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Scroll ¾ of the way down the page to the purple section, there should be some help for you.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040216/index.html

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
carteriii Trainee

I read the article on Tom's Hardware (thank you), and the link to the Microsoft article. Unless I missed something, I don't believe they address my specific situation of wanting to change the default monitor on startup. They do describe how to use multiple monitors, and I am able to do that by manually moving the windows before going to full-screen mode, but nothing seems to change the default/startup monitor. In fact, the following comment from the Microsoft article leads me to believe that perhaps this isn't possible:

http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulator/fs2004_multimonitor.asp
Note that multiple full-screen setups are not saved in the Flight Simulator or Flight configuration (.cfg) files. However, you can save a Flight while each display is in windowed mode and then switch to full screen mode after you launch Flight Simulator.

If this is saying that "full-screen setups" are not saved, then perhaps it's not possible to change the default startup monitor either???

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Not using two monitors I'm not too much of a help to you.
This looks too simple to be true.

http://www.g4techtv.com/callforhelp/features/14382/Dual_Monitors_pg2.html

If it won't work wait until some of the other members come on line. Unfortunately the weekend isn't the busiest of times.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
carteriii Trainee

That link (& all others) discuss the general use of two monitors, which does work ok for me. My issue is simply trying to change the default monitor, without manually dragging the first window across monitors. I'd still like to believe there is a solution, and I'm hopeful that someone out there has a similar nVidia setup that can point me in the right direction.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...