frozen lakes?

Sam Intel Guest

In FS2004 I did not notice frozen lakes. Do they freeze so you can land on them? If they do not is there an addon that I can get that will make them freeze? ❓

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

I am interested in knowing too. I havn't noticed anything at avsim or here. Dont Know

Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

Sorry, no frozen lakes that i know of. I live near the finger lakes in New York and fly around there often. No ice i'm afraid, the waves are still rolling up on shore.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Near the bottom.

STEINKJER VFR FOTO-SCENERY

http://www.fotoscenery.com/engelsk.htm

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

That scenery looked great radarman! 😀 😀 😀

Guest Ed Guest

I don't think it's possible to land on ice in FS09. I did a flight trying to reach the North Pole several months ago, on the return I tried landing on the polar ice. It's not like dry land-- as you descend, eventually you can't go any lower, but it's like your wheels aren't touching anything-- you can't brake or slow down. Eventually I gave up and took off again.

Ed

Sam Intel Guest

I downloaded it, but it is all in sweedish. Crying or Very sad I do not know how to install the senery. What do I do? ❓ ❓

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Try this. It should work. He said that you can land on his lake, try it with a small aircraft and let us know.

Radar

1. Extract the zip into your main FS2004 Addon Scenery folder, or into a temporary folder, and then move it there, which ever method you prefer.
I use the temp and drag and drop.

2. Start up FS2004 and when the welcome screen, or initial menu comes on, select settings, then click on Scenery Library, and Add Area. Find the Addon Scenery folder and open it, then find the XXXX folder and click on it. The name XXXX should now appear in the title window, then click OK. Then you will see XXXX at the top of your scenery library list, and click the OK tab at the bottom.

3. That's it! You must first exit FS2004, and when you restart it your scenery will be there. It is not necessary to use the Addon Scenery option to locate this scenery, simply go to the airport in FS.

Sam Intel Guest

I tried to go to the airport, but I could not find it. What is the airport ID?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Guest Ed wrote:

I don't think it's possible to land on ice in FS09. I did a flight trying to reach the North Pole several months ago, on the return I tried landing on the polar ice. It's not like dry land-- as you descend, eventually you can't go any lower, but it's like your wheels aren't touching anything-- you can't brake or slow down. Eventually I gave up and took off again.

Ed

YOu have to have reverse thrusters like in jets or turboprops. 🙂

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

You should download the de Havilland "British Antarctic Survey" DHC6-300 Twin Otter that has special skies (aswell as wheels) which is specifically meant for landing on ice. It is the 2nd one down on this page: www.simviation.com/fs2004props15.htm

Then, take some flights from the Antartic Resarch Base airports such as NZIR which I know for sure has a Ice Runway and is serviced by the RNZAF Hercules

🙂

Pro Member First Officer
earthqu8kes First Officer

im tring to listen to all of u guys but its gitting to cofusing. plz just speak english. lol

Would be interested in knowing how much 'runway' y'all would need before you come to a stop when landing on ice... 🤔
I'd recommend trying a big, BIG lake the first time you try it Wink

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

oops forgot to login Wacko , ^^that was me.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...