Wingtip Vortices?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Hi,
Wingtip vortices are extremely dangerous for smaller aircraft, but don't winglets stop wingtip vortices from occuring? If so, why don't more aircraft have them? Or is there more to it? Thanks 😀 😀

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Does FS2004 simulate wingtip vortices?

Pro Member Chief Captain

No, I don't believe it does.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Thanks for that article RadarMan, it was very useful 🍻

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

I would still be reticent to follow to close to a heavy with vertical wing tips. However they do contribute significantly to lift. They in effect block the air from under the wing from reaching the top of the wing, in so doing they preserve a higher pressure gradient between the bottom and top of the wing. Thism akes the wing more efficient at cruise by lowering induced drag vs given lift. It's worth an extra 5% in range at cruise alt. or a little more speed for the same fuel burn.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Hi,
Thanks Leadfoot, I read about the pressure gradient etc and how winglets decrease induced drag. Thats why I thought it strange that not a lot of aircraft have them. Thanks again 😀

Pro Member First Officer
Greg (FL050) First Officer

I really don't see how they could be totally eliminated. I don't fly behind big aircraft in my Cessna 😂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...