Is the performance completely depending on RAM?

Pro Member First Officer
twistedsucker First Officer

I have 512mb of RAM, but the game still lags and the performance is sometime quite choppy. I have a bad video card (Nvidia GeForce 5200) and I was wondering if it was the vid card that actually made the performance of the game unreasonable. And when I mean performance, I mean that the FPS aren't very fast and it freezes for a few seconds or miniseconds every now and then. So which one is it, RAM or video card or both?

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I have the same RAM and video card as you. My performance is good with low to middle range settings. I have roughly 20-25 fps which suits me fine. I would probably change the graphics card first, but if you buy a decent one, it will be quite restricted with the amount of RAM, so really you could do with new video card and RAM. If you can only have one, I'd suggest another video card. Hope that helps 😀

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

I don't think it's just the ram. My PC has hardly any Ram but it has an excellent graphics card. I put all my flt sim settings to full [except when making a video] and my flt sim has hardly any lag. I think it's the amount of space you have on a PC and the amount of times you defrag, that play a huge roll in decreasing a choppy performance.

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

"So which one is it, RAM or video card or both?"

Well, it's all three.

Video card, CPU, and RAM.

Post all your specs.

It's hard to know until you tell us which CPU you have...

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

The way that I understand, and assume that you are speaking about FZ 9...???? The game uses 128 mb of video ram. The more ram that you have does help within the parmters of your computer. For instance I have a gig of ram. I also had absolutly no luck at all with the real Invidia card specifically OC 6600 250 mb. I went back to and ATI X 800 Pro card and it all seems to be fine I have 70 fps and it is a little bit choppy at times. If I turn it back to 25 - 30 the chops goes away. I guess that you could say that your computer has weather just like the internet.

twistedsucker,

It would help alot if you gave the specs to your machine. There are very knowledgable people on here and will assist you if you give them your specs to work with.

Pro Member First Officer

OK, my specs are as follows.

Dell DIMENSION DIM4600 Intel[R]
Pentium 4 CPU 3.06GHz
3.06Ghz
512mb RAM
Nvidia GeForce 5200 - vid card

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

Dell DIMENSION DIM4600 Intel[R]
Pentium 4 CPU 3.06GHz
3.06Ghz
512mb RAM
Nvidia GeForce 5200 - vid card

In your case, I would say the video card is the weak link. Upgade that, and add another 512 megs of memory if you can.

another thing, make sure you don't have a whole load of programs loading up and using memory while you are flying.

look at your system tray (to the left of your clock at the bottom of your screen)
How many icons do you see there after your computer is completely booted up?

I turn off everything while I'm using the simulator including any anti virus programs..If you are using a software firewall, you would leave it on, but nothing else is needed.

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

twistedsucker,

If space permits. It is a good thing to partition your drive specific to FS. I found that if you have a lot of things running in the back ground, i.e., Firewalls, email. That detracts from your game and causes problems. These problems that I speak of are: sudden shutdown of the FS, shutdown of your computer,.etc...

Hope that this helps.

Pro Member First Officer
mrkonk First Officer

It is the graphics card.

Pro Member First Officer

Oh ok thanks all for your kind help 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (megafoot) First Officer

THeres a bunch of factors that affect FS performance.

Sure CPU, Video, RAM are all important but theres a bunch of other stuff too,

My Brother in law has a great machine but he runs SOOOOO much crap in the background that i would be surprised if he got 20fps out of it.

Theres a bunch of file system settings that enhance FS like maximising your cacheing, file system, cluster sizes on your hard drive, file stamping, indexing, cpu priority heirarchy,where and how big your paging file is... theres a bunch more too like regestry errors, how well our drives are defragged ect.

Windows, when it comes out of the box, tries to set itself up for too many different types of users for it to be really well set up for any specific type of user. you need to go in and tweak it to get maximum performance for what we do.

Pro Member First Officer

Oh right ok, thanks for your help. I should be reformatting the computer soon 🙂

Pro Member Trainee
Andrew (n287s) Trainee

ram ram ram. flight sim is completely dependent on ram. if you want your game to run smooth you need a good video card and at least 768 mb of ram. my computer has:
AMD Athalon 64 +3500 2.2 ghz 9out performs any intel processor)
1 gb of ram
Radeon 9550 Video Card
Asus A8V Deluxe Motherboard

this computer runs flight sim like a charm

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...