What grades?

Pro Member First Officer
twistedsucker First Officer

I'm still in grade school and my GSCE's are coming up in a few years. What grades and in which subjects do i need to achieve to go to university and become a qualified pilot that some of you people here are? I really want to achieve this goal and I just love flying! Anyway do I really need to be a grade A* student to become qualified and go to uni for airplane engineering? I'm not trying to be ignorant and stubborn and dumb here, I just want to know how much hard work I need to do 😀

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I looked into this a while back as I was thinking the same thing. GCSE's don't matter too much, I did mine last year, and was fairly happy with them. You would probably need a B in maths, english and science, but obviously higher grades help a lot. A levels are a lot more important depending on what route you want to take. If you are going to go to university, to do a course in engineering then you'd need to take physics/chemistry possible maths and another subject, getting B's in them, depending on the university. I however was nowhere near clever enough to achieve this. This doesn't mean to say that you cannot fly commercially because you don't even need to go to university. If you do you have a higher chance of achieving what you want to do.

Scholarships are another option, but you have to be extremely intelligent. BA requires 7 A*-B passes which is fairly easy, but then you need to do 2 Sciences and maths with AAB which would be impossible for me and a lot of other people so this narrows down the amount of applications they receive for scholarships. I don't know how intelligent you are, so it is for you to choose which route would suit you best. Sorry its not very detailed but I'm about to go out.

Hope that helps a bit anyway 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Greg (FL050) First Officer

You really don't need to concentrate on that sort of thing, just concentrate on getting into the university of your choice that has a good aviation program. Once you get into the university, just enroll in the Aviation courses that go along with your major. They will give you a major syllabus, your Aviation Degree Syllabus that tells you what classes you need to take and how many hours you need to have in order to graduate with the degree. In your pure Aviation classes I have to have atleast a B in the class to pass it, if I get lower than a B I have to retake the class. Other than classes that do not directly effect your major, you just have to concentrate on passing.

Let me know if you have anymore questions. I go to Oklahoma State University and am in the Professional Pilot degree. OSU has one of the best flight schools in the nation. Last year at nationals they placed 6th as a Flight Team.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

FL050 wrote:

You really don't need to concentrate on that sort of thing, just concentrate on getting into the university of your choice that has a good aviation program. Once you get into the university, just enroll in the Aviation courses that go along with your major. They will give you a major syllabus, your Aviation Degree Syllabus that tells you what classes you need to take and how many hours you need to have in order to graduate with the degree. In your pure Aviation classes I have to have atleast a B in the class to pass it, if I get lower than a B I have to retake the class. Other than classes that do not directly effect your major, you just have to concentrate on passing. .

It is slightly different in the UK because to concentrate on getting to the university you want to, you have to get the good grades, so can't really do one without focusing on the other one first. The grades in the beginning tell you what route is best for you.

😀

Pro Member First Officer
twistedsucker First Officer

Thanks a lot people, you've really helped. Thanks again 🙂 😉 😀

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...