graphics card

Pro Member Trainee
peco Trainee

Please can someone tell me what is the best 256 mb graphics card for fs 2004 cof and also what is the cost and also it sometimes stutters when flying highly detailed downloaded aircraft i have 256 memory, 2.6 pentium 4 and 1.6gb hard drive is that enough or do i need something else please help.

Answers 25 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Barge First Officer

Your memory is really quite low. You should be looking at 512mb at LEAST for reasonable performance. If you want the better frame rates you need probably 1gig or more and a decent gfx card.

I dont know much about gfx cards but there are a couple of members who are experts at this sort of thing....

There are loads of members who have asked similar questions...try browsing through the 'hardware' forum on this site: https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/17/hardware/

there are lots of posts about gfx cards there, and best system configurations, costs etc.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

I hope your not running Win XP aswell 😳
Cheapest upgrade would be more memory

You dont say what GFX card you have now 😕

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

If you bought a 256 mb graphics card, you probably wouldn't get the best out of it due to the low RAM, like the others said 😞

Pro Member First Officer
twistedsucker First Officer

I would really suggest a new computer to start with. Your current one seems like it was made years ago, no offence. You need a new graphics card, RAM, space, maybe a better processor. It's going to cost a lot upgrading your computer. Why not buy a new one 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Barge First Officer

Woah! I didnt notice before....only 1.6GB hard disk!!!

It will definitely be cheaper to just buy a new computer!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Being that I'm biased almost to the point of religious fanaticism, the best card you can get is the ATI X800XT Platinum Edition, but with your PC specs, no offense, but you won't run the card at it's full potential at all.

Pro Member Trainee
peco Trainee

Many thanks for your kind information the graphics card i have at the moment is an nvidia 64mb havent had it long and for those of u who said the computer sounded old its a dell and its only three months old so if i put an extra 512 memory and a 256 card would it make any difference bcos im only 23 and buying a new computer this soon isnt possible please help.

Pro Member First Officer
twistedsucker First Officer

3 months? No offence but I bought my computer a year ago. And It has WAY better specifications and memory than yours. Sure it's not a ripoff?

Pro Member Trainee
peco Trainee

no my mum bought me it and im just getting into flight simulator but i really want it to look more realistic how much would u be talking about for a better pc bearing in mind i wont want need to buy a monitor

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😕 Maybe you have read it wrong,1.6gig or 160gig?

Ram and hard drives are at very good prices at the moment

For us to be of real help please check your PCs specs again and list them
Right click your "My Computor" icon and select properties and list what it says on the opening screen,then click the tab marked "Harware" then "Device Manager"and click the + sign on "disk drives" and Display Adapters

Then we should be able to be constructive about your PC

Pro Member Trainee
peco Trainee

sorry it is 160 gig gard drive wiht pentium 4 2.6 ghz and 256 mb ram and a 64 mb nvidia graphics card which i have just recently bought.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

As some have said, you need a minimum of 512mb ram, 1 gig would be excellent and 128mb video card now is a must.
You'll not only get clearer graphics but better FPS.
Go with the ram first, then look around for a card if you think you need one.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 Thats better

OK for storage space 👍
OK for CPU
Memory ........(I hope you are running Windows 98 or ME)You need more at least double what you have or more would be even better
Once you have more Ram(memory) I would also think about getting Win XP, a much more stable operating system and more suited for games

Graphics card 🤔 Im guessing here that its a MX440 or a 5200 Umm... You will never get blistering performance out of them,but with a few tweaks and turn a few of the effects off you should get reasonable frame rates

Pro Member Trainee
peco Trainee

i have windows xp home edition, i really want to get a 256 graphics card how much would it cost for memory and the card £

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😳 Im supprised you can even get FS9 to load 😳

XP needs nearly all of your memory just to run its self

Ram is your 1st port of call,then GFXs

Pro Member Trainee
peco Trainee

😂 😂
Thanks so much tom the tank i will get ram first then grfxs i really appreciate ur help just one more question if u were buying a grfx card what type and where would u get it. Surrender (Bearing inmind my requirements.)

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 Easy answer is get the best that you can afford

Decide how much you are going to spend and have a look at a few sites to compare prices,or pop a few of your finds here and we will let you know which we think is best

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I would highly recommend going with ATI. You can actually get a super fast 128 MB card from them, called the 9800 Pro. If you want a 256, just get their 9800XT. Shoulnd't be too much for the 9800 now I dont think, my chemistry teacher just got one for 180 american dollars.

Also, regardless of what others have said, your PC, besides ram, is OK. a 2.6Ghz Processor is plenty fast enough to run FS9. Get RAM first, then check out video cards.

Pro Member First Officer
rob (Habu) First Officer

Hi peco, you really do have a nice PC. But as others have said, your Ram is way too low and is the first thing to upgrade. I would get 1 Gig Ram, then worry about the video card. The card will cost alot more than the ram. Maybe a used card on e-bay? Good Luck, rob

Pro Member Trainee
peco Trainee

Thanks guys will let u know how i get on 😂 😂 😂

Pro Member Trainee
peco Trainee

have checked out a few graphics cards and interested in Connect 3d radeon 9800 pro 128 mb, I am also going to upgarde to 1gig ram any comments appreciated Hack

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I have the ATI Radeon 9800 128 Pro video card and it's well worth the money. I don't know anything about the Connect brand, ATI lets them make it.
I like it very much and it not only gives me great views but good FPS.
The gig of ram will be a big help.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
peco Trainee

😀 😀 Thanks radarman thats a gr8 help cant wait toget it am away to order right now thanks again guys 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 That should do it 😉

Pro Member Trainee
peco Trainee

have added on 1 gig to my original 256 and all i can say is wow 😳 😳

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...