Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

why is there the Tower View among the view toggles?

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

I have never had any need for this view, can I get rid of this?

Pro Member First Officer
SoCalRick First Officer

nottobe wrote:

I have never had any need for this view, can I get rid of this?

You never have to look at tower view as long as you do this:

From Cockpit view, press 'S' for VC mode or SHIFT-S for Spot view. In other words, 'S' to cycle forward and SHIFT-S to cycle backward.

I use the tower view for screenies because you can drag and drop the tower anywhere you like for a different perspective. Anyway, hope this helps.

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

I've never understood the 'tower view' Because it isn't a tower view!!!

If you're at high alt then sometimes the 'tower' from where your viewpoint is situated is WAY up in the sky. And it moves.

Show me a tower that can do that! Smile

Oh, another one, if you use it while flying in hilly areas then often your plane disappears behind a hill. Fat lot of use.

Dave

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Shocked I use the tower view to review any landings I might want to record
Dont for get you can set the tower view to your own settings via the map mode.Click on the tower symbol and drag it to wherever you want,dont forget to set the hight adjustment on the left of the box

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

horrgakx wrote:

I've never understood the 'tower view' Because it isn't a tower view!!!

If you're at high alt then sometimes the 'tower' from where your viewpoint is situated is WAY up in the sky. And it moves.

Show me a tower that can do that! Smile

Oh, another one, if you use it while flying in hilly areas then often your plane disappears behind a hill. Fat lot of use.

Dave

In Map view with the Tower (radio button) selected you can move the tower to any position on the map and fine tune location with the zoom feature. Also the altitude can be set to any level you desire. However, if you reposition the tower again the altitude of that tower will change. After every repositioning of the tower the altitude must be corrected.

spuddi Guest

I never use it,

but I guess the name "tower view" is the issue, what it should really be called is "fixed position view", but that doesn't sound as good

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

I like to use it also if i replay a landing. But i use airport diagrams to position the tower correctly.

Pro Member First Officer
Barge First Officer

horrgakx wrote:

If you're at high alt then sometimes the 'tower' from where your viewpoint is situated is WAY up in the sky. And it moves.

I dont mean to spoil your argument....but the tower doesnt move Shocked
All it does is zooms in on your aircraft like a magic pair of binoculars.
If you press the backspace key it resets the tower view to normal zoom from where it is situated, so you probably wont be able to see your plane any more. Wink

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

Barge wrote:

horrgakx wrote:

If you're at high alt then sometimes the 'tower' from where your viewpoint is situated is WAY up in the sky. And it moves.

I dont mean to spoil your argument....but the tower doesnt move Shocked
All it does is zooms in on your aircraft like a magic pair of binoculars.
If you press the backspace key it resets the tower view to normal zoom from where it is situated, so you probably wont be able to see your plane any more. Wink

Barge,

What I believe horrgakx means is, when you drag the tower to a new location in the "Map" view while you are at a given altitude in your a/c, after the tower is dragged n' dropped, the altitude value shown in the mapview altitude box below becomes the same as the aircraft's current altitude.

The "Map" view (tower alt of 302' is correct for KBOS)



Last edited by michlin on Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member First Officer
Barge First Officer

ahh i see

BOB LOMAS Guest

These are helpful technical points but the magic must not be overlooked. When I was a small boy the sky above me was filled with the sound of Merlin engines a sound that is still magic to myself and countless others. I use the tower view to analyse my Spitfire aerobatics and landings on replay. The real treat then of course is listening to that wonderful sound.

All times are GMT Page 1 of 1 You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Related Topics