When would you raise the flaps after take off?

Katie J Guest

hey,

just a quick question that I am unsure about....

on a clear day when would you recommend raising the flaps after takeoff??

I usually do it once i am a couple of thousand feet off the ground back to the up/off position, but am unsure if this is the right way.

thanks

Katie J

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

500 feet is enough, I think

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

depends on the aircraft, what're u flying first off?

Pro Member First Officer
Jason (Av8r77) First Officer

It depends on the aircraft that you are flying, terrain in the area, and what climb gradient you are trying to meet.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Jets retract flaps in increments, so at around 1000 feet you retract to about 5 degrees and then 500 feet more, you completely retract, but as people have said, it varies on the aircraft, weight and terrain. They are normally retracted fairly quickly to reduce drag and cost 😉

Pro Member First Officer
rob (Habu) First Officer

flaps are raised and lowered as to air speed, not altitude.

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

Habu wrote:

I agree totattly

Pro Member First Officer
Bartholomew First Officer

Habu wrote:

I agree as well.

You must not exceed 250KIAS below 10000ft, so if the flaps are necessary in maintaining low speed, you keep them extended all the way to 10000ft. You will probably have to do that in a 747, but however, when you fly something like a Cessna, you don't even have to extend the flaps on takeoff.

Pro Member Trainee
rifty Trainee

The A340's and 747's taking off from Johannesburg (c.5800') on a hot night keep the rear and LE flaps extended for nearly 20 minutes after take off.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...