Hawker Sideley Trident

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Found a nice 54MB package. Good cockpit, V/C, panel, paint job and great sound. Except for the fact that it takes forever to get off the runway, it flies well. According to the gauges, I'm using all three engines. So, does anyone know what I've missed at takeoff time. I mean it needed about 300 feet more than the Gatwick runway I was on.

It seems to get rolling rather slowly.

Answers 16 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Where's the link to the aircraft? I'll have a look at the engine thrust and see if tweakage is in order

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

where did you get it from?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Pro Member Chief Captain

dl'ing now thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain

I found that it lowers its flaps in small increments so adjusting for that allowed me to get the plane up a bit more easily. (Still can't figure out where the state of the flaps is indicated on the panel.) I've also noted it has a tendnency to stall unexpectedly

Pro Member Chief Captain

I'll check that first

Pro Member Chief Captain

Ok, for more flaps, go down to the very bottom of the Aircraft.cfg file, in the HS121 Trident 2 and change it to look like this

[Flaps.0]
type= 2
span-outboard= 0.900
extending-time= 15.000
system_type= 1
damaging-speed= 330.000
blowout-speed= 350.000
lift_scalar= 1.200
drag_scalar= 0.000
pitch_scalar= 0.100
flaps-position.0= 0.000, 0.000
flaps-position.1= 10.000, 0.000
[Flaps.1]
type= 1
span-outboard= 0.500
extending-time= 15.000
system_type= 1
damaging-speed= 270.000
blowout-speed= 300.000
lift_scalar= 0.800
drag_scalar= 0.050
pitch_scalar= 0.100
flaps-position.0= 3.000, 0.000
flaps-position.1= 5.000, 0.000
flaps-position.2= 10.000, 0.000
flaps-position.3= 16.000, 0.000
flaps-position.4= 23.000, 0.000
flaps-position.5= 28.000, 0.000
flaps-position.6= 45.000, 0.000

Next, for more oomph, do this

[jet_engine]
thrust_scalar=1.000

change it to this

[jet_engine]
thrust_scalar=1.500

Try that, and if that doesnt work, increase it more, but keep in mind that it's a multiple, so being that each engine generates 11960lbs of thrust, they will now generate 17940lbs each, so bear in mind weight and whatnot. The reason I didn't just up the overall engine thrust in Lbs, because doing this will increase the amout of gas burned, thus fricking up the fuel burn data and maximum range of the plane

Pro Member Chief Captain

I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Pro Member Chief Captain

thrust_scalar=1.500

Makes it much more realistic. I'll leave the flaps alone for now and just click the joystick more. I also discovered that the cfg shows a clean stall speed of 190 I suspect that isn't right, but will check the Trident's specs before changing it.

Thanks for your help.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Stalls around 180 actually

Pro Member Trainee
skydancer Trainee

set elevator trim to +3 degrees, also check takeoff check list found on console. Yes I have gotten the trident off the ground by following the short checklist. rem when all else fails read the instructions Idea

Pro Member First Officer
john (verygom) First Officer

I was a regular flier with the first tridents - it was n't the TO that was the problem - it was the what seemed to be the very high landing velocity and the pilot boasting of the auto "hands off" landing system!

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

verygom wrote:

the auto "hands off" landing system!

It took them years to get it approved
But it was the 1st civil aircraft to have a full autoland system

Pro Member First Officer

It was the fact that it was anounced as the first that made it scary - particularly flying into Aberdeen or Glasgow with snow on the ground.

Pro Member Chief Captain

What was it like to be in it? Was it comfortable?

Pro Member First Officer

Even with the engines at the rear it was very noisy in the cabin. In those days abviously cabin air was not as well conditioned as it is today and there always seemed to be an "engine room" smell. The landings always
seemed to be fast with your shoulders hitting first one side of the seat then the other.
The Tridents were very prone to 'deep stalling' - I believe several including the first prototype crashed due to this -around 1967? I think this was also a problem with other early high tailers like the BAC111.
As well as the Trident the DH Comet was also used between London and Scotland in its last days!!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...