The course selector...

pearlygatesuk Guest

I was wondering if one of you guys could tell me what the point of the course selector actually is? I mean from what I understand it rotates your compass but you can work out whether your in line with a runway etc if the big purple line lines up perfectly with the arrow.

Which got me thinking......

Thanks

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Pro-Sim First Officer

It can be used in general to simply 'point' at a desired course.....

So on take-off, you may have your heading bug set to the Runway Heading (say 070 degrees) but your departure clearance may be to "Turn right to heading 120 after 6 miles DME"....

.... so you could set your Course Indicator to that initial course.

But of course as we all know it's main purpose is to set th "Final Inbound Course" of the ILS Runway that you're about to land at.

This is simply so that the CDI (Course Deviation Indicator - the part of the line that moves to line up when you're on the Localizer or VOR course) is pointing straight ahead when you're on finals, so you can accurately track the LOC signal.

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

Auto pilot set to HDG
course selector determins the heading you will fly.

Auto pilot set the NAV and navigation radio set the waypoint frequency.
course selector determins the heading you will fly with relation to the transmitting station.

in additin to IFR landings.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...