CRS Selector

Pro Member Trainee
Bhupesh Trainee

Hi Friends:

Back with one more query what exactly the Course Selector is used for to be precise the CRS button on the autopilot panel? I believe we have to enter the approaching airport/runway heading. Please help me out as this is triggering too many doubts in my mind...

Thanks!

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

The CRS button is used in an ILS approach and other navigation methods to point in the direction you want to receive the data from. For example, if you are entering an ILS approach for runway 21, you will set your CRS (course) heading to 210, so when your ILS indicator, shows you are too far left, you know you are too far left relative to the heading you are travelling. I'm fairly sure the same applies to VOR navigation when you are using the AP. 😉

Don Wood Guest

This and another recent post indicate a little confusion about use of the VOR course indicator for navigation and approaches, whether using autopilot or not. First, to answer the specific question in this post, the runway heading does not need to be entered on the VOR indicator for an approach. Many pilots do simply as a visual reminder of the correct course but it is not necessary. The course line indicator on the VOR or flight director dial indicates deviation from the correct course no matter what heading is set when flying a localiser or ILS approach.

In non-approach navigation, using the VOR, the autopilot has two navigation modes: course or heading. If heading is selected, the autopilot will fly the heading set on the "bug" regardless of what radial is set on that instrument. This is useful when flying close to a VOR, when flying to intercept a specific radial, or when not using a VOR to navigate. When course is selected, the autopilot will intercept and then fly the specific radial that was set with the OBS for the VOR being received.

I do not have GPS so I'll have to leave it to someone else to answer this question if navigating by GPS.

Pro Member Trainee
Bhupesh Trainee

Hi Jon:

Thanks! for the reply, was just confused a bit... correct me if I am wrong? we don't have to enter the runway heading in course selector, for example if am approaching runway 10 then I would enter the runway 10 heading or will I put 100 in the course selector? Please confirm the same...

Thanks once again!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Don puts it better than I have and corrects the bits I have got wrong Embarassed

However, make sure you always think of directions of a compass as 3 digits. For example, if something is at 10 degrees, it is 010 degrees as to avoid confusion, so you would set the CRS to 010 i.e. runway heading so the runway would be RWY 1. If the runway was at a heading of 100 degrees, the runway would be RWY 10, basically using the first 2 digits of the 3 digit heading 😉

Pro Member Trainee
Bhupesh Trainee

Thanks! Jon, that has cleared my confusion, thanks to all the people here. Will be opening one more post Jon, keep looking this space... 😎

Thanks!

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hey there!

I'd be more than happy to clear up your doubts regarding the CRS (Course) Selector on the autopilot panel. You're on the right track, but let me dive into more detail.

The CRS Selector is primarily used to set the desired course for a specific navigation source, such as a VOR (VHF Omnidirectional Range) or an ILS (Instrument Landing System) approach. It doesn't necessarily have to be the approaching airport or runway heading, but it will often align with the runway during an ILS approach. The CRS Selector can also be used with other navigation sources such as GPS or RNAV.

When using a VOR, you'll want to set the CRS to the desired radial you would like to track to or from the VOR station. This helps you establish your position relative to the station and fly along specific airways. In the case of ILS approaches, you'll want to set the CRS to the published approach course. This ensures that your aircraft's navigation system is correctly aligned with the localizer and glideslope, guiding you to a safe and accurate landing.

In flight simulators, you'll generally follow the same principles. However, depending on the aircraft and autopilot system modeled, the CRS Selector might be used differently or not at all. For example, some advanced aircraft with FMS (Flight Management System) integration may have the CRS automatically set based on your flight plan, and you might not need to manually adjust it.

Here are a few steps on how to use the CRS Selector in a flight simulator:

1. Tune your navigation radio to the desired VOR or ILS frequency.
  2. Identify the station to confirm it's the correct one.
  3. Set the desired course using the CRS Selector.
  4. Engage the appropriate autopilot mode (e.g., NAV, VOR/LOC, or APPR) to follow the course.

I hope this clears up your doubts about the CRS Selector. If you need any more clarification or have any other questions, please feel free to ask!

Safe flying and happy simming!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...