Keeping the engines spooled on approach

Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

Since I've been landing airliners recently in FS2004, I've been noticing more and more that I am coming in at idle.

I know this is not the way they do it in real life, for safety's sake. I'm not sure what I'm missing on my approaches to keep the plane slowed down enough. In real life, the engines are kept spooled up to a speed past idle, I'm not sure exactly what, so if they need to go around, all they have to do is up the gear and retract the flaps, and already your engines are making power, since it can take anywhere from 10-15 seconds for a jet engine to go from idle to full power.

Short of using the speedbrakes(also known as airfoil spoilers), any idea how I can add more drag to the airplane during landing?

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Jason (Av8r77) First Officer

You MUST add power BEFORE raising the flaps. Not doing so could cause the plane to sink and hit the ground.

spuddi Guest

in the big jets if you are coming in at the correct airspeed with the correct amount of flaps then you are correct that it is unlikely that the engines are at idle.
The most likely cause for your approaches is that you are coming in too steep, this would account for the high airspeed to throttle ratio.
try doing your approaches following the ILS glideslope you should find that you are using some throttle still at the same speed.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

You MUST add power BEFORE raising the flaps. Not doing so could cause the plane to sink and hit the ground.

Yeah, but if you're on final or any stage of the approach why would you want to raise the flaps? I mean, if you made a mistake and put out too much at the start then i'd understand it. Maybe I'm reading it wrong...

Pro Member First Officer
Kurt Stevens (KurtPStevens) First Officer

No FEM, you are correct. NoWorries must be starting his App too high if he is at idle power and dirty. With full flaps and gear down, the thing would fall out of the sky at idle power unless he was nose down trying to lose alt quickly.

Pro Member First Officer
Jason (Av8r77) First Officer

That comment was for a missed approach...sorry

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...