Am i landing correctly in my 737?

I approach the runway normally at around 145 - 150kts. On ILS i get the autopilot level me out and bring me down on mt descent. By the time im 5NM out i have full flaps and travelling down at 145- 150 kts.

At about 800ft i cut off the autopilot and then switch the engines to idle, i touch down then apply air brakes and reverse engines.

What i want to know is, in real life when do they idle the engines when they land, is it X ft above the ground, or is it upon touchdown that they then idle the engines, apply airbrakes and reverse the engines.

Am i right in idling the engines approx 500-800ft above the ground or am i really supposed to idle the engines as soon as i touch down?

Many Thanks in Advance.

Joske

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
Craig (Sno0ze) Trainee

Your approach speed is correct, note that you should really be configured for landing before you intercept the ILS, with the exception of the gear. As for the engines going to idle, I've watched a few videos of real life landings on youtube of various aircraft, and as far as I can recall, they all took the engines back to idle at like 5ft above which obviously is just before touch down.

Pro Member First Officer
Jim (jellrod) First Officer

Any landing you can walk away from is the best landing....

Cutting engine power depends....landing in a crosswind? May want to keep them spooled up a bit just in case you need to exercise a go around.

Pro Member Trainee
Craig (Sno0ze) Trainee

jellrod wrote:

Any landing you can walk away from is the best landing....

Cutting engine power depends....landing in a crosswind? May want to keep them spooled up a bit just in case you need to exercise a go around.

Well they would be spooled anyway. Maintaining 145Knots approach speed in a 737 with flaps 40 and gear down takes about 55 to 60% N1, so you don't really have to worry about that.

Pro Member First Officer

Perhaps I misread then, I though he stated at 800 feet he pulled them back to idle....

Pro Member First Officer
Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) First Officer

800 feet idle is a bit too soon am I right? This will cause or will force you to have too much inclination to the horizontal and could lead you to have a tail strike.

Pro Member First Officer

Not speaking for anybody else but myself, I usually don't pull the engines to Idle until I cross the numbers.....Thats in a 737.

In a single prop, sometimes I cut it way out and glide in, just for fun....

x pilot Guest

In a single engine plane like a Cessna 206 which is nose heavy when empty; landing without any power could hurt unless you come in fast therefore more airflow over the elevator!

On a low wing single like a Piper Cherokee 6 they tend to float in ground affect for a while.

I flew a 2000 odd model of the 206 in real life and with a lighter engine and a bigger elevator it componsated with obviously with having to have power on all the way in.

But as stated it would all depend on A/C type, Wind, C of G etc etc...

Pro Member First Officer

True - true.. I learned on a Grumman Cheetah. Damn thing floats like a leaf on the breeze. But like XPILOT said and I alluded to, it all depends on the airplane. A 37 will land differently than a CRJ and a A320 and so forth. Thats why in the real world you need to get a check ride in type before you can take it out. Not like renting a car, if you have a license OK!

x pilot Guest

on light aircrat; where i did my license for a type rating you had to read the manual over and over, then write a open book exam, at the end they give a situation with different tempratures, elevation, runway surface and length, work out the c of g, take off distance, all up weight etc.

then about 5 hours flying time on the type doing stalls EFATO etc etc etc, the check ride/flight test was normally conducted with safe max all up wieght, so like on a clear hot day in a cessna 206, 6 on board with full tanks, or 2 up + loads of sandbags in the back...

intresting doing a crosswind touch and go when you heavy...

1. POWER

2. Aileron into the wind

3. Rudder to keep the nose straight

4. Use only what flap you need, no point having the barn doors all the way down at times!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...