Engine/Apu bleed

crosscheck9 Guest

What are the reasons for Engine/Apu bleed - I mean what do they do, and when do you use them - Thanks

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

APU bleed is the alternate source for pressurization and cooling..

You would use it say if you were on the ground to cool the airplane.

Or, if you had a pac failure while flying, you could use APU bleed to provide air conditioning for the airplane.

Pro Member First Officer
rob (Habu) First Officer

APU (auxilliry Power Unit) is a mini jet engine in most cases and is for ground use only. You will see exhaust exiting the real of most Commercial aircraft as they leave the APU running to provide power on the ground for things like Air conditioning/lighting and starting the engines (depending on what type engine starters) without a ground power hookup. You are usually prohibited from using a APU in flight. rob

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Yes, if I am not mistaken there are a few specific uses for the APU in mid-flight and they all have to do with emergencies.

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

Yes, if I am not mistaken there are a few specific uses for the APU in mid-flight and they all have to do with emergencies.

After talking to a close friend of mine who is an Avionics Engineer at Air Canada it seems that on large jets they can and do use the APU in flight in the event of more than one of the PACS failing or even if, say a generator went off line, the APUs on these airplanes are cabable of backing up pretty well everything..
On the other hand, the smaller multi engine airplanes like the Dash Eight do not have the capacity to run the APU in flight. They won't even fire up if there is no weight on the wheels..

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...