Building windows and terrain flicker

Edulon Guest

Why buildings windows and terrain flicker?.
I have a Ati X800 XL and I have tried activating Vertical Sincronization and I think it solves the problem a little. I had a Nvidia 6800 and the problem was not so serious.
1600X1200
Antialiassing 4X

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Umm... It might be the mip-mapping (set it at 4 or 5) or not enough memory.

Radar

I would like it were there but I have mip mapping at maximum. Thank you

Edulon Guest

Sorry about my English

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Try it at 4 or 5 and see if that helps.
You have your AA at 4, put your AF at 16.

Let us know how it looks then, your English is fine.

Radar

Edulon Guest

Ok. I put AF at 16 and it solves terrain flicker quite well but not about building flicker. The efect is something like TV news when people appears with check jacket (with little squares) you know?
I don´t know if it was a good idea change nVidia 6800 ultra by a Sapphire X 800XL 512 Mb. What do you think?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It's called "strobbing" the flickering of that jacket or necktie and has to do with the camera or your TV settings, I get it also on a new set.

I prefer ATI cards, over NVIDIA but so far it's an even split between the two.

If you have 1 gig of memory or more that should help. I imagine you have your scenery slide all the way to the right, with enough memory it should look good.
Move the autogen to normal and the mip map to 4 or 5.
See how that works.
They had the same problems in FS2002.

Let us know how it works.

Radar

Edulon Guest

Ok I´ll put parameters in that way because I have them almost at the top
Yes I have 2 Gb Ram.
Thank you for the information. Let´s try...

Edulon Guest

Definetly terrain "strobbing" is solved with anisotropic filtering and building one is a little better. The efect is specially visible on Manhattan Scenery of course.
In other way I´m surprissed because I have discovered that playing at 1600 X 1200 or 1280 X 1024 does´nt have significant impact on FPS.
Thank you very much for your time.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

With the card, memory and I imagine a very good CPU that you have 1600X1200X32 shouldn't cause any loss. I play at those settings and my computer is half what you have.
I get very little "srobbing" but with settings high (I like "eye candy) my FPS is severely limited, I try to fly with light clouds and in areas that aren't graphic intensive.

Stop by when you can, possible someone will have better ideas about the problem.
Enjoy!

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...