Question: Long haul Flights

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Hey there,

I have always wondered what pilots do while on long haul flights, apart from taking a rest?

I mean do they just sit there and talk do each other, or do they read and do things like that?

Thanks,
Jarred 🙂

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Pilot is sleeping and Co-pilot is working hard in order to take his promotion... 😉

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

and pay cheque... 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Excactly... 😉

😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

I think they can do whatever they want, but they have to take a look at the instruments just in case something happens.

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

I think that on long haul flights there are two crews on board. One takes off, goes to sleep, the other flies then goes to sleep while the first one lands (or something like that, I am sure someone will correct me).

As for what the "active" crew is doing, it's been a question of mine too. I know there's the pilot flying and the pilot not flying, who checks instruments and handles communication. But in the 45 minutes between NAT reports, who knows... chatting? Crossword puzzles?

Enlighten us 😉

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

Believe it or not, the active crew is busy. There's weather reports to check from all their alternates, programming in routes to their alternates, and a few other tasks. The cheif pilot over at UVA said in response to a post asking if her, and some of the other long haul pilots we have at UVA, get bored that if you find you have nothing to do, then there's something you're forgetting!!

Programming routes for alternates can be pretty time consuming as well! Planes flying long hauls generally have an ETOPS range (i.e. 180 minutes), meaning that they need various alternates along the route so that they are never more than 180 minutes (or whatever value the craft/crew is rated for). That means that they can have a whole range of airports that they need to be ready to "bail out" for at a moments notice!

A long (but GREAT) read is this story about a trans-atlantic flight in a 767 for American Airlines. This is really one amazing narration of those long trans-Atlantic flights!

Pro Member First Officer
john (verygom) First Officer

One thing the pilots have n't to do any longer is entertain! When I was frequently flying with the family - (good old British Caledonian and their DC10's) - my daughter would go up to the flight deck on every flight to meet the crew and get her log book signed - of course dad had to take her 😂 which meant that after she got bored I got to stay and chat with the crew who were only too pleased to explain and demonstate the cockpit layout. I actually visited with a crew on a DH Comet 4B just before they went out of service.
Sadly in this day and age such things are no longer possble. 😞 😞

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Thanks for the info,

Jarred 🙂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...