Flight.Sim.Com enter the brave new world

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

While downloading bits and pieces from FlightSim.Com yesterday I was given the option on one occasion of saving to disk or having it installed into fs9 during download. I think the requirement was to have FS-Addon (I think it was called) installed on my system. I declind for two reasons, firstly I dont have that Addon thingie and secondly, being the eternal paranoid I don't trust those newfangled apps. that promise to do everything and end up creating havoc on my system. But - I'm gasbagging. What I wanted to know - Has anyone else encountered this obviously new offer from FlightSim.Com ? If so, what's your read on all of this? Should we be doing something about this - or is it really harmless after all?? Pros and Cons to be sure.

What do you think?

Regards, Rick Fear

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

I also encountered that option in FlightSim.com when downloading an A330. But you can choose if you want that option or the normal download.

WinnieFly Guest

My 2 cents as an enduser:

I installed the triel two weeks ago and bought it the day after. Works great. Not only the auto-install feature, but the whole programme...

And after two weeks i'd say: it worth every penny. Saves me many gigs of disk while still having handy everything to fly and installed more (working) freeware stuff that way than I did in months by hand. No "havoc" so far on my system.

So I for one recomend it!

Cheers, Win

PS: Find developers in this branch you can freely phone up for a question or a problem... this one you can.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

WinnieFly wrote:

My 2 cents as an enduser:

I installed the triel two weeks ago and bought it the day after. Works great. Not only the auto-install feature, but the whole programme...

And after two weeks i'd say: it worth every penny. Saves me many gigs of disk while still having handy everything to fly and installed more (working) freeware stuff that way than I did in months by hand. No "havoc" so far on my system.

So I for one recomend it!

Cheers, Win

PS: Find developers in this branch you can freely phone up for a question

or a problem... this one you can.

I of course have seen it but I haven't used it and probably won't. I like to see what I'm loading onto my computer (no I don't care for executables either).
Flightsim.com is a nice site and an excellent assortment of downloads (not everything out that day, go to other sites as well).

Question, how can it save gigs of hard drive space, you can delete the zip after loading it yourself.

Radar

WinnieFly Guest

Question, how can it save gigs of hard drive space, you can delete the zip after loading it yourself.

You might take a look at the users manual that's available for reading even without downloading or installing the programme. You find it at:
http://www.fs-aom.com/
and look for the "Product description" link at the bottom.

As far as I can tell, after I install a plane or a scenery, I have a button "Zip" to compress the addon in the library. For airplanes, the relevant files to deal with it (cfg, screenshots docs etc) are still there. Then, if I decide to fly a compressed plane, I can even chose the liveries I want and FS addon manager does what's to be done to have FS started up with that stuff (BTW with the newly installed splash screens as well). I compressed all my stuff (online just what I need) and that's where it saved me some 85% of the diskspace. Don't ask me the technical details but that's awesome!
The best advice I can give you on that: try it out... you'll see for yourself.

Cheers, Win

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Thanks Win for the link!

It looks interesting but if I have to use it to load an aircraft that I can load myself. If it was automatic it would be helpful. $19.95.

For those that are interested.

Facts
http://www.fs-aom.com/modules.php?name=FAQ

Tutorial.
http://www.fs-aom.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=11

Radar

WinnieFly Guest

RadarMan:

It looks interesting but if I have to use it to load an aircraft that I can load myself. If it was automatic it would be helpful. $19.95.

Not sure about this one, but I paid $39.90. Maybe they have some old specs laying around?... but again... that's not the matter for me, it's definitely worth it. 😉

As for the loading of the plane. You're right. But if it took me 20 minutes to fiddle around with zips while with FS-AOM (specially the auto install) it takes seconds without even 'seeing' the zip... well that's what was worth the case for me. And that's why I'm quite grateful flightsim.com now offers that option.

Cheers, Win (Winston, WA)

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...