Thinking about a tour-- low and slow variety

Guest Ed Guest

Hey,

While I was on vacation last week, I had time to sit and chat with my uncle in South Carolina (that's in the US of A, for those of you who aren't). He's about 80 years old.

I had been told that he was a pilot during World War II, but in talking to him I learned that he was not an army pilot, but rather earned his PPL while he was in the army, near the end of the war. He continued flying after the war, and in 1947 he and a friend flew from South Carolina to Cleveland, Ohio (USA) to watch the air races that were held there. They did it in a two-seat Cessna with a non-functioning radio.

He told me all the various stops they made, and what happened along the way, so I am thinking about recreating the trip in FS09. To make it authentic, I'll have to fly without radio or navaids, just the map and visual landmarks.

I won't be able to end the trip where they did, though-- when they arrived at Burke Lakefront Airport in Cleveland, it was full to capacity for the show, so they continued on to a grass strip in the suburbs of Cleveland. An enterprising farmer had mowed one of his fields into a grass strip and brought in a truck load of gasoline to sell to the pilots who landed there.

Wish me luck!

Ed

Answers 16 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Sounds like fun, that is my kind of flying, low and slow.

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

That sounds like an interesting trip,

Like you and Warhawk, I also prefer low and slow flying.

Have fun,
Jarred🙂

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

Ed,
Your upcoming trip sounds very cool, although relatively more difficult because of the lack of authentic landmarks in FS9. Such purposeful trip as the one you are about to take are a lot of fun. 😎 Hey have a good trip.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Sounds like a fun trip.

Pro Member First Officer
Pro-Sim First Officer

Ed - your trips are legendary, my buddy The-GPS-Kid was a huge fan of your imaginative tours!

Your latest idea sounds really special....

Here's a tip for something that I do before starting off on tours these days;

Once you know the countries / areas / towns that you're planning on going to, pop to AVSIM and see what freeware scenery there is.

I have picked up some superb free scenery upgrades from avsim.... they're great because they're 1000% better than the default scenery but they're not OVER THE TOP like some payware scenery is - meaning that frame rates are poor.

Once you've collected all your free scenery and installed it, your trip may be even better !

😉

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

Sounds like a great time. Keep us posted on your progress / results. 😀

Guest Ed Guest

Thanks for the kind words, everybody. And Pro-Sim, I took your advice and went to AVSIM; there is quite a bit of scenery for the area I will be flying. I will need to dowload it at work, where I have fast Internet access, though.

I had never registered with AVSIM before; now I'm "Guest Ed" over there, too! 😂

Ed

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Sounds fun. What plane are you using?

Guest Ed Guest

SamIntel,

I don't know, haven't given that much thought yet. Since my uncle did it in a Cessna, I suppose I should too. I don't know what was available in 1947, though. I guess I need to read up on Cessna history. I could fly it in the default 172, but program in a radio failure for each leg of the trip.

Actually, the radio was alright in the plane they flew, it was the alternator that was bad. So, the battery didn't stay charged, and because of that the radio didn't work. And they had to start it by spinning the prop, too.

Ed

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Guest Ed wrote:

SamIntel,

I don't know, haven't given that much thought yet. Since my uncle did it in a Cessna, I suppose I should too. I don't know what was available in 1947, though.

Ed

He would probably have been flying a Cessna 120 or 140. I know there is a Cessna 140 that can be downloaded.

A Cessna 140 was the first plane I ever went up in, I'm not saying how long ago that was.🙂

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Here is a picture of the Cessna 140, the 120 ws very similar except it didn't have flaps and didn't have those rear quarter windows. I believe it had a little less power also.

Guest Ed Guest

Cool, thanks, WarHawk42. Do you know where I can download the 140?

Ed

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

I have it saved to CD, but I will have to see if I can find it. I will look for it and post it when I find it.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

AVSIM has the Cessna 140, I'm not sure which one I have. There are several files there for the plane and some of them are upgrades. You might do well to browse through all the files and decide what you want to download.

Just go to AVSIM and type "Cessna 140" into the search engine there.

http://www.avsim.com/

Pro Member First Officer
Paiute First Officer

I was born and raised in Cleveland. Enjoy your trip. 😂

Guest Ed Guest

Paiute,

I was born in Cleveland, too, but I grew up out in the 'burbs. Northfield Township, to be exact. I've been in California for that last, oh, 100 years or so. But I have done a fair amount of sim flying around northern Ohio, though. I always drop into Burke Lakefront Airport if I'm in that part of the sim world.

Back when I was a kid, I flew on Island Airlines' Ford TriMotor, out to Put-in-Bay, so I've tried to recreate that in FS09, too. Except that the TriMotor is an extremely difficult thing to fly and land-- imagine something that big and heavy with NO BRAKES!!! 😳

Ed

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...