Kph true or airspeed

Pro Member First Officer
Andrew (AJWatson2209) First Officer

Hi guys,

Im hoping you can help me out here, i was reading the BA fact book about their fleet and they said that their crusing speed was 927kph, now when im flying my cusing speed (which is very near the overspeed speed is only about 340 kph, im thinking it must be that one of them is in true airspeed or soemthing. Please can someone help me out here with the comfusion.

CHeers

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

The confusion being they, BA, are quoting speeds in Kilometres per hour Groundspeed and the airspeed indicator is giving you readings in Knots (nautical miles per hour) indicated airspeed. So you are talking "different languages". While in flight flick the GPS on and you will get a groundspeed which then needs to be converted into kmh.

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (megafoot) First Officer

The world standard for navigation is Knots. Anyone who is quoting in Kilometers per hour (or miles per hour for that matter) is not quoting correctly in pilot/mariner jargon. for an explanation on what exactily a knot is go here:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/faq_07.htm

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

You also have to understand the difference between Indicated and True Airspeed. The numbers you see on the indicator in the cockpit are indicated, when you turn on the GPS and on the bottom right or left corners, it'll say G/S and then a number. That's your ground speed, which is what you want to look at to get a better idea of how fast you really are going.

Pro Member First Officer
Andrew (AJWatson2209) First Officer

Cheers guys,

I wil have a look for that in my next flight (oslo to edinburgh)

See you in the skies

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...