Ultimate Traffic

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I decided to get Ultimate Traffic to spice things up, but it seems to be pushing my resources to the maximum. Is there any way to tweak things until I get more RAM?

Answers 32 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Ultimate Traffic uses PAI traffic (https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/726/project-ai-v25/) PAI traffic is not frame rate friendly, so that's why it is pushing your resources to the maximum. To fix this you have to get rid of all your PAI traffic and get AIA and FSP AI traffic. Those are free.

http://www.ai-aardvark.com/ ➡ AIA Traffic

I don't know how to do that, because I don't have Ultimate Traffic, but most people in my VA Forum did that and now they have pretty nice AI traffic. FSP and AIA have better models for AI Traffic.

Hope this helps 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Hey Agus, there's something I seem to be missing here.

Now UT is payware right? (at least it was last night when I almost clicked on the dreaded "Buy Now" button.)

So if UT is payware, how come they're using PAI which is freeware??

And how do FSP Traffic and AIA Traffic fit into the picture?

I'm sure it's my senility letting me down again - but you're so good at explaining things when you put your mind to it, so please... explain 🙄

Thanks,
Rick

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

While PAI does produce freeware, they also provided stuff for UT which is payware. UT is substantially more complex than PAI's freeware.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Lower some of the other slides (clouds, traffic, autogen) and turn off some (shadows, water, textures).

That should free up some resources so you can run the sim better.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
sylvan First Officer

AI models from PAI are version 2, the models used in UT are version 1 PAI models. These arn't that good to look at so many change the models to AIA, FSP and PAI v2 using UTs aircraft assignment utility.

Not too sure about Agus's comments that PAI models are not frame rate friendly as you would have to look at Levels of Detail (LODs) for each model and compare with models from AIA, FSP etc.

I use UT as a flightplan database, as they have many, although not all and certainly not up to date. Using the above it's quite easy to change the aircraft used against a certain airline.

It all depends on what you want from the sim.

Pro Member Chief Captain

UT has so many extra features that you can't get them freeware. Only payware. PAI models included in UT are really bad compared to the AIA and FSP models. Those models are, and I can say it 100% sure, the best ones ever created, and the best ones on the net. And they are also freeware!

Now, if you buy UT and change all the models to FSP and AIA, you still get those huge queues of aircraft waiting for clearance to takeoff. And you can still use the features included in UT.

And if you install FSP and AIA models, you can get more and more traffic by downloading airlines. For example, you want to download A340 planes. What do you do? Well, it's simple. Just click on the A340 models and you get all or some airlines that have the A340 in their fleet. If you install all those airlines, then you have more traffic. If you install just 1 or 2, then you have less traffic. It's simple, isn't it?

Talking about Levels of Detail (LOD), PAI models and nothing compared to AIA and FSP. I said it before... Just try and download some AIA and FSP models and compare them to PAI. It's your choice...

Pro Member First Officer
sylvan First Officer

For sure the AIA, FSP models are far better than PAI. When mentioning LODs it basically means how the model was put together and how they perform on your PC, framerates etc.

An example.

The PAI A320 v1 has 3 LODs, each LOD has a number of polygons
LOD1 - 7012
LOD2 - 3352
LOD3 - 112

The PAI A320 v2 (GE)
LOD1 - 5352
LOD2 - 2990
LOD3 - 84

Although both models have 3 LODs the Polygon count is higher on the v1 so the v2 would be better on FPS. A model can have numerous LODs, infact the more LODs the better, as long as the polys are low it would make a good AI aircraft, framerate wise.

Pro Member First Officer
HowardsRock First Officer

How do you uninstall PAI traffic from UT and install AIA traffic in UT??

Also, are ALL downloadable AIA and FPS models framerate friendly, regardless of whether they were painted by AI Aardvark painters or not?

Pro Member First Officer
sylvan First Officer

You will need to have the AIA model already installed in your FS9/Aircraft Folder. In UT go to Utilities/Aircraft. In the left panel pick the airline your new model is for. The bottom panel will show what aircraft are assigned. In the left panel navigate to where your new aircraft resides. Once you have what you want in the right panel and what your replacing in the left, click Insert/Save. You will then have to Compile.

For more involved insight look here

http://www.john-goodwin.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/UTAssignframe.html

To answer HowardsRock's last question - Yes

Pro Member Chief Captain

Exactly, AIA and FSP models are more frame rate friendly, and better models.

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks for your answers. But I'm still confused. I have a library full of PAI aircraft (if that's what comes with UT). I'm thinking about uninstalling and reinstalling UT just to make things easier.

3 questions:

1. I don't understand how to use AIA and FSP aircraft INSTEAD of PAI, because UT installs PAI by default.

2. Is there an AIA and/or FSP installer utility similar to the PAI installer?

3. Can I download all AIA/FSP traffic at once, or do I have to go airline by airline? UT will install all the aircraft in the world in one click (although it's PAI), and I really don't want to spend hours and hours downloading the world's aircraft one airline at a time.

4. If the answers to 2 and 3 above are "yes," can someone post a link to the download places in question?

Thanks again.

Pro Member First Officer
sylvan First Officer

To answer your questions

1. To use a AIA/FSP model you have to install it the same way you would install any flyable model.

2. No. The people who have made these are giving you an option to make your AI traffic look better and have better FPS.

3. No. Airline by Airline

To quote myself

sylvan wrote:

It all depends on what you want from the sim.

If your not that bothered about the look of your AI stick with whats in UT.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I was gonna answer your questions, but Sylvan won this time... Twisted Evil 😉

I've already posted the links to the webistes (look above) but I'll post them again with no problem.

http://www.ai-aardvark.com/ AIA Traffic

The good thing about AIA and FSP Traffic is that you get better frame rates and the models are much better than PAI.
The bad thing about AIA and FSP is that it takes time to install lots of airlines.

These are useful links that help you to install AIA and FSP Traffic:

1. http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53787&hl=AI+traffic

2. http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42203&hl=AI+traffic

3. http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30646&hl=AI+traffic

Pro Member First Officer

When you talk about getting better framerates with AIA and FSP than with the 800 or so airlines that come with Ultimate Traffic, what does that mean? Does it mean less graphic choppiness while flying?

My system is as follows:

Compaq Presario 8000T
2.60 GHz precessor
225GB free HD Space
1.50GB RAM
ATI Radeon 9200c 128MB Graphics Card (yes AstroSteve I know you hate this 😉 )

I get some graphical choppiness around airports with heavy traffic. Will a change from default UT traffic to AIA/FSP make any difference in this choppiness around these airports on my system? Or is the choppiness I experience more of a hardware issue?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Ok, I'll try to explain myself as clear as possible.

PAI models don't look good compared to AIA and FSP. For example the shape of the engines look weird. But in the AIA and FSP models, the engines look just like your aircraft that you are using.

Also, PAI models are frame rate killers. That's the way they were built. You may also notice that they are very easy to install. However, AIA and FSP are not that easier to install, because they were built to not kill your framerates, so they are a bit difficult to install, and also time consuming.

Having AIA and FSP models instead of PAI, will make all your flights smoother. This actually depends, because if you install thousands of airlines using AIA and FSP models, then your framerates will go down. This is self explanatory, I hope.

Yes, I think, that if you get rid of your PAI traffic and install AIA and FSP traffic, you will have smoother flights, and your graphics will not look choppy. Now, if you install way too much airlines, like all the airlines that come with UT, then you will get a framerate hit.

This entirely depends on you. I know that it takes time to change your AI to AIA and FSP. If you decide to change your AI, I wish you all the best luck to you. If you follow the instructions given in those 3 links I posted, then everything should be fine.

Pro Member First Officer

OK. One last question.

Where in the FS2004 directory structure is the PAI traffic that UT installs? In order to erase all my PAI traffic that came with UT, I assume I just need to delete that folder, right?

Pro Member Chief Captain

That one I don't know. I don't have UT so I'm not sure.

But a while ago I installed PAI traffic (without knowing about AIA and FSP) in my computer. I deleted them after realizing that my framerates were way too low. I looked at the main Aircraft folder and they were there. So look at your main Aircraft folder and see if you find something that has the word PAI. Let me know if you find them and will do my best to help you.

Pro Member First Officer

I think I may just stick with UT, simply because I payed money for it. I wish I had known you could add the same amount of traffic AND flightplans for free with a little bit of work...I wouldn't have paid money for a sub-par product.

I thought I had done my homework...oh well...next time I'll know.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Hey HowardsRock, you made a great purchase with UT. If you want to stick with UT, it's fine. I'm not saying that you must change your AI.

If I want to have AI, I'd download the free AIA and FSP models. But UT has some many awesome features that it's great to have them.

Have you seen screenshots of AIA and FSP models? I can post some pics if you want.

Pro Member First Officer

I'm still a little fuzzy about the details regarding the changeout between PAI and AIA, but I'm sure I will figure it out by doing it and following those tutorials you posted. I'm sure I'm making it harder than it really is.

Would you recommend MRAI for the flightplans? Or can I use UT with the new AIA/FSP models I download?

Pro Member Chief Captain

I would recommend MRAI, since those flight plans are the Most Realistic AI flight plans. But you can also use the default UT flight plans. This is how realistic you want your flight plans to be.

Pro Member First Officer

So with AIA/FSP and MRAI, do I have any need for UT at all? Can the traffic from AIA/FSP and flightplans be used in conjunction with UT?

With downloaded traffic and flightplans, I just don't see the need for UT at all. I'm sorry if I seem really stupid or ignorant.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

HowardsRock wrote:

So with AIA/FSP and MRAI, do I have any need for UT at all? Can the traffic from AIA/FSP and flightplans be used in conjunction with UT?

With downloaded traffic and flightplans, I just don't see the need for UT at all. I'm sorry if I seem really stupid or ignorant.

Hey Rock,

if you feel stupid or ignorant - if it's any comfort to you, you're NOT alone!
I've been reading this whole thread over and over and my head starts spinning more and more and it's certainly not due to the consumption of alcoholic beverages or God forbid, even worse Whip

I'll make a bold prediction here ➡ This isn't over yet. But when it is - this debate I mean, I shall print it out and fly to St. Maarten in my favorite MD-11, "relax" on the beach and study the manuscript.

I am not being cynical - I'm trying to figure this thing out just like yourself and probably a few others as well... but so far it's Read Wall Bashing Read Wall Bashing Wall Bashing

Ahh, there's always hope 😀

Regards, Rick

Pro Member Chief Captain

Am I not explaining this well? I'm trying to do my best....my first language isn't English, it's Spanish. I learnt English since I was 13, I guess, and after that I've been practicing my English more and more.

HowardsRock, if you install AIA and FSP traffic and also MRAI flightplans, you can still use UT. You are only getting rid of the PAI traffic and installing AIA/FSP traffic to UT. So what you are actually doing is delete the PAI traffic (default traffic in UT) and install other traffic which helps UT to run smoother. The problem with this is that with the default PAI traffic of UT you get huge queues of aircraft waiting to takeoff. If you have AIA and FSP traffic in UT, then you won't get those huge queues, unless you download all their available airlines and aircraft. Do you know what I mean?

MRAI substitutes the defaul UT flight plans with realistic flightplanes. You won't be able to update those flightplans with the flightplans of a certain year. Fore example, TAP Airlines flies the A340-300 daily to Guarulhos Intl. Airport, São Paulo, Brazil. Now, what happens if the next year they don't want to fly that route anymore? (I'm talking about real life) The answer is that you will have to stick with your 2005 flight planes or the ones flown in past years. The reason why is because MRAI closed down for good. They will not create more realistic flightplans, so you can use the 2005 flightplans, or download another flightplans from other source.

So, with AIA/FSP traffic and MRAI flightplans, you can still use UT. You will notice when you run UT that the traffic changed, your frame rates are better, and your AI aircraft look better in shape. Your AI traffic will no longer fly the same route...they will fly a realistic route.
All your features that came with UT will still be available to use.

Pro Member First Officer

I understand. Traffic and flightplans were the only things I thought UT was useful for.

What other features does UT have? Admittedly, I have not had a lot of time to play around with it since I purchased it.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Here's a link of the Flight1 website and describes all its features:

https://www.simshack.net/products/traffic-360-ai-traffic-fsx-prepar3d-688

meylan Guest

So, did anyone get around to replacing UT'S PAI models. If so how did it go , was it worth all the work , did you see a significant increase in frame rates , how long did it take and did it all go well .
I'm thinking of doing it my self 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

meylan wrote:

So, did anyone get around to replacing UT'S PAI models. If so how did it go , was it worth all the work , did you see a significant increase in frame rates , how long did it take and did it all go well .
I'm thinking of doing it my self 🙂

It is worth it, if only for the visuals. When Agus said

the (AIA) models are much better than PAI

he was being very kind to PAI, trust me.

And HowardsRock, make no mistake..lol

think I may just stick with UT, simply because I payed money for it. I wish I had known you could add the same amount of traffic AND flightplans for free with a little bit of work...I wouldn't have paid money for a sub-par product.

It is a huge undertaking to fill a world with AI traffic manually. Dont forget it is not as simple as installing planes and flightplans, (which already takes a lot of time) for most airports you're also required to modify the AFCAD files to add parking spaces for the extra aircraft you're adding.

Doing 1 airport properly (just the AFCAD) takes at least an hour if you wanna do it right and are not that experienced (and to be honest it usually takes me a lot longer); with 20.000+ airports in FS9, you do the math 😂

meylan Guest

ARD-DC wrote:

It is worth it, if only for the visuals. When Agus said

the (AIA) models are much better than PAI

he was being very kind to PAI, trust me.

And HowardsRock, make no mistake..lol

think I may just stick with UT, simply because I payed money for it. I wish I had known you could add the same amount of traffic AND flightplans for free with a little bit of work...I wouldn't have paid money for a sub-par product.

It is a huge undertaking to fill a world with AI traffic manually. Dont forget it is not as simple as installing planes and flightplans, (which already takes a lot of time) for most airports you're also required to modify the AFCAD files to add parking spaces for the extra aircraft you're adding.

Doing 1 airport properly (just the AFCAD) takes at least an hour if you wanna do it right and are not that experienced (and to be honest it usually takes me a lot longer); with 20.000+ airports in FS9, you do the math 😂

THANKS for the info , just to clarify you don't use UT and you install all your traffic manually . Is this correct .

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

that's correct, and I don't have a lot flying about yet, but I've been at it for a long time..

meylan Guest

Thanks , good luck 🙂

I know u get extra AI traffic but do you get to fly the extra planes as well or are you stuck withe defaults?

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...