Mac - Windows

Wobba Guest

Question for anyone who knows about Macs and Windows OS. I have used windows OS for my whole life and was thinking about getting a Mac notebook. My only concern is, Is Mac OS much different from Windows? Will i have to learn how to do everything over again?(When it comes to figuring out how things work, i can usually get it quickly but its the programming/"comp language" i'm a little iffy on.) Don't know if that helps but Thanks!

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It's different of course but anyone used to Windows will be able to operate the new Mac OS.
You won't be as proficient with it in the beginning as you are with Windows but you shouldn't have any problems.
I've heard good things about the Apple PowerBook, but don't forget they use mostly their own hardware.
The flight sim won't run on it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the hardware, I know they are going to Intel boards for the first time...but when.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

Wobba, RadarMan,

I bought my daughter a Mac with O/S X for college. You talk about being proprietaery geez. Software to hardware the samething. I thought HP and the rest of the manufactures were bad.

Regards,

Pro Member Trainee
djparvin Trainee

I have both a iMac (1.8ghz core duo) and MacBook Pro (2.33ghz core 2 duo) both with 256mb graphics and 2 gb ram.

Both run FSX fine, in fact FS is the only reason I have Windows on my macs.

I'm running in OSX mode at the moment, but from memory my FSX settings are generally medium high.

I agree about Mac's being proprietary but that is the main reason for their stability and assuming you buy with this knowledge then I don't see it as a problem.

I'll note my exact settings and post them later

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

djparvin wrote:

I have both a iMac (1.8ghz core duo) and MacBook Pro (2.33ghz core 2 duo) both with 256mb graphics and 2 gb ram.

Both run FSX fine, in fact FS is the only reason I have Windows on my macs.

I'm running in OSX mode at the moment, but from memory my FSX settings are generally medium high.

I agree about Mac's being proprietary but that is the main reason for their stability and assuming you buy with this knowledge then I don't see it as a problem.

I'll note my exact settings and post them later

Nice website, beautiful models.

Radar

7dream8liner7 Guest

Yea, it should be an easy switch. My friend has 1 clamshell iBook, 1 white iBook, and 1 Mac Book, and they are very easy for me to use.
😎
Just be sure that if you are using Mac OSX, that you do File>Quit and don't just hit the 'X' to close the window, otherwise you will have alot of applications open at once. This happens alot at the Apple Store and gets me very annoyed.

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

We have just posted an article about running FSX on a Mac:
https://flyawaysimulation.com/news/4665/

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...