Why is it so hard to land the 747?

Pro Member First Officer
HowardsRock First Officer

I can't figure it out. I crash on the runway every time. I'm coming in nice and slow (160-165 KIAS), have a nice flare, have flaps fully deployed, and lined up nicely. But alas, I crash on the runway. What is the descent rate needed upon touchdown?

Keep in mind I am flying with the keyboard only.

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
jetman35 First Officer

That a big part of the problem. Keyboards just don't cut it. You really need to get a USB yoke. My 747 approaches speeds are at a mininum of 180. 180 is the recommended speed to land those mammoth planes! You could always increase your speed.

Jetman

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

Can you please let us your attitude upon touchdown, and your rate of descent. Also, keep in mind that if your 747 is too full with fuel, it would cause the Landing gear to collapse. We'll figure this out 😉

Pro Member First Officer

I've always thought the SLOWER your approach, the better. Stall speed for the 747 fully flapped at sea level is around 160 KIAS. I've never heard of INCREASING speed for landing.

My flight takes me from Dulles to JFK airport (approx. 45 minutes). I can't imagine too much weight from fuel being the problem. My attitude at touchdown is around 3 degrees nose-up, and my vertical descent rate at touchdown i about 300 feet per minute.

Pro Member Captain

Well, your speed, attitude and VSR is good as far as landing the bird is concerneed, however, from Dulles to JFK in a fully fueld 747, the gear is sure to collapse, seeing as how they're not a big distance apart. Fill it up only to the amount you need, and then some more for safety.

Pro Member First Officer

Every flight I take starts with a full tank of gas. I didn't know I could control that. How do I make sure that it's only filled to the need?

Pro Member Captain

In the Main FS screen, there is a section entitled fuel and payload. You can go there and alter your amount of fuel - To know how much fuel you should carry, do the following...

Find out what your distance will be for the flight - Slap on another 200nm to that distance...Now take that distance and divide it by the aircrafts maximum range - Take that number and multiply by a hundred. That will be the percentage required onboard for the flight. That gives you enough fuel for the flight, and some extra in the event of a diversion 😉 - Hope that helps

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks, crosscheck. I'll give it a whirl.

Pro Member First Officer
vlad (tiger7881) First Officer

Well what do u think u wont crsh thats wrong ofcurse u wil everybody will but if someboy knows that:

In the heavy plaen never land with 165 kts are u CRAZY 😳 with heavy plane the speed whould be 180 not less check and u will have a soft nice landing !!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

There's something called Spellcheck that would be useful. As well as complete sentences.

It's not his speed that is the problem anyway. If you read one of his posts, he explains that he always has full fuel. After a 45 Minute flight, you won't have burned enough fuel to land. You'd still be too heavy to land. Once he lowers his fuel he'll do fine.

Not only that, how is it CRAZY 😳 to land under 180KIAS.

If ANYONE did read the 747-400 flight notes and speed refrences, you'd see these figures here.

VREF - Landing Approach Speed gear down
880,000 lbs (flaps 25) 188 KIAS
880,000 lbs (flaps 30) 181 KIAS

450,000 lbs (flaps 25) 134 KIAS
450,000 (flaps 30) 129 KIAS

There you have it. Now no one will be crucified and CRAZY for landing below 160KIAS. 129 will still keep you afloat. 😉
And if I might also add, the maximum full flaps speed anyway is 180KIAS. So, whoever decided it's CRAZY to land below 180KIAS, keep in mind that you're CRAZILY destroying your flaps if you plan to use all 30 degrees of them.

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

Quite right FEM, I fly them all the time and usually touch down at around 160 Knots. 180 is too fast, but you are right; it's the full load of fuel that is the problem.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Bravo, FEM. I just love it when folks who don't know what they are talking about, give advice. Thanks for setting the record straight.

BTW, for those who do not know it, the landing and takeoff speeds for just about every plane ever built, can be found on the internet. (Not to mention, the range, maximum altitude and MTOW, etc.)

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

FEM you said it best 😉 . I always assumed the bigger you were the faster you land, but the other day I made two UAL flights in PMDG aircraft: a 737 and 747. The 737's full flap landing speed (based on my weight) came out to around 136kts or so. The 747's FMC reccomended nearly the same speed at full flaps when I flew that later in the day! 😳 Learn something new every day!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I only do that once in a while. Actually lately I've done it so few times that I've given it a name

It's called "FEM's patented Log in, Own, Log out system"

I'm just glad to have gotten all the info out and in the open so everyone will get the correct info. 😀

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...