Computer shuts down

MrMike Guest

After installing a new copy of FS 2004 I noticed after flying for 5-10 minuted my computer shuts down completely. I have to wait 20min to reboot otherwise it will not restart.

I've been a FS user for many years and have never experienced this problem before. I am suspicious of the anti-virus software on my machine, but it does not explain a complete shutdown.

I have tried to remove FS 2004 and reinstall with no success. Is this a problem anybody else has exprienced or, is it just a me kinda problem.

Thanks

Mike

Answers 22 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😕 Your PC may be over heating,fs9 can really stress your PC

You say you have installed "a new copy" 😕 Did you have fs9 on this PC before or have you upgraded from fs8?

List your system specs please

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

This does sound like it could be an over heating problem. When was the last time your fans and heat sink has been cleaned? It can make a world of difference.

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

My advice is: Be carefull. When my computer started doing that, I had to get a new mother board, and trust me those are not cheap (it was $495 USD, plus $50 for labor.) 😞

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

PanAmerican wrote:

My advice is: Be carefull. When my computer started doing that, I had to get a new mother board, and trust me those are not cheap (it was $495 USD, plus $50 for labor.) 😞

$495!! Is it even possible to get a motherboard that expensive?

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

jarred_01 wrote:

PanAmerican wrote:

The most expensive MB where I buy my parts and pieces is $230. I could see the $50 dollar charge for putting it in, but that seems high for the board.

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

WarHawk42 wrote:

jarred_01 wrote:

PanAmerican wrote:

The most expensive MB where I buy my parts and pieces is $230. I could see the $50 dollar charge for putting it in, but that seems high for the board.

Yeah thats what I thought, there is no motherboard (avaliable to the public) that wouuld cost $495 USD.

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

I forgot to add that my extended warranty covered the cost of the mother board. I only had to pay the $50 labor charge. But my warranty expired last month, so If it does happan again I'm getting a new computer.
Sorry for the miss understanding.

Magnum Mike Guest

I had the same problem also, which started right after I over-clocked the processor. I have a Pentium 4 HT 3.0 GHZ processor and I got a little greedy by over-clocking by about 30%, that's when FS 9 started shutting down the computer and rebooting it. I changed the setting back to what it and I still got occasional shut-downs. I checked the VGA Pallet Snooping setting and it was enabled. I understand that can cause problems sometimes, so I disabled it and now everything is working well.

Happy Landings!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

You can always buy an AMD 😉

(just kidding and not offencive to Intel users :wink🙂

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

I agree with WarHawk it sounds like a over heating problem. Giving the computer a good cleanup is a good first step.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

hey, i have an amd and mine doesn't show one bit of stress with fs9. Twisted Evil

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

MrMike wrote:

After installing a new copy of FS 2004 I noticed after flying for 5-10 minuted my computer shuts down completely. I have to wait 20min to reboot otherwise it will not restart.

I've been a FS user for many years and have never experienced this problem before. I am suspicious of the anti-virus software on my machine, but it does not explain a complete shutdown.

I have tried to remove FS 2004 and reinstall with no success. Is this a problem anybody else has exprienced or, is it just a me kinda problem.

Thanks

Mike

You're not alone. The other day I did yet another clean install, pretty sure I used the correct procedure, have done it often enough.
This time, I didn't install anything third party because I thought that an add-on had caused the problems. - Not so. -
I load fs9 and the system crashes, sometimes after a few seconds, sometimes after a few minutes. Unless I switch off everything my computer won't reboot.
In my case, it is not an overheating issue as I have plenty of fans and monitor the temperature closely.

I'm running FS2002 now and despite using all kinds of graphics-intensive add-ons and trying to crash the system deliberately...no problems with FS2002 or any other application for that matter.
I can only suspect that something in the registry got corrupted which a re-install of fs9 cannot fix. Oh yes, lets not forget the ".dll hell" scenario Wall Bashing

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

I was never able to fully resolve the program crashing problem under XP on my computer and that is the reason I went to a dual boot. I'm running both XP and 98, I run FS2004 under Windows 98 and I have no computer crashes and get much better detail.

I don't know if that would be a viable answer in your case, but it worked for me. Creating a dual boot would require you partition and reformat your hard drive loading Win 98 on one partition and XP on the other.

That would be a last ditch effort maybe, but also maybe worth a try.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

WarHawk42 wrote:

I was never able to fully resolve the program crashing problem under XP on my computer and that is the reason I went to a dual boot. I'm running both XP and 98, I run FS2004 under Windows 98 and I have no computer crashes and get much better detail.

I don't know if that would be a viable answer in your case, but it worked for me. Creating a dual boot would require you partition and reformat your hard drive loading Win 98 on one partition and XP on the other.

That would be a last ditch effort maybe, but also maybe worth a try.

This is pretty much the conclusion I have arrived at. : Reformat and Partition. When I formatted my HDD initially, I never partitioned and this keeps biting me in the butt now.
I'm convinced as can be that this is the problem. I've been studying guides as to the procedure recently... unfortunately I find too many contradictions. Can't help but think though, that it should be within reach of the average consumer.
I'm surprised that MS doesn't provide proper guidelines in 'human' language Hack Wall Bashing Hack

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

You have to run fdisk first and partition, then you reformat each partition. XP does have some information on how to make a dual boot, it isn't great but it can get you there. Check under help and in the index type dual boot.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

WarHawk42 wrote:

You have to run fdisk first and partition, then you reformat each partition. XP does have some information on how to make a dual boot, it isn't great but it can get you there. Check under help and in the index type dual boot.

Thanks for those suggestions Warhawk. The "dual boot" according to XP Help really has to do with installing more than one OS.
"FDISK" seems to be a third party utility which only supports HDDs up to 180GB.
The result I get after typing 'partition' into XPs Help search bar could be likened to staring into the abyss 😳
'Reformat' yields yet another example of MS Doublespeak - just looking at it makes my head spin.

What I know : I know that I have to reformat and partition.
What I don't know : I don't know whether to 'reformat' or 'partition' first or at the same time.

What I will never understand : Why it is necessary to resort to 3rd party apps and utilities to reformat a HDD that uses MS OS exclusively.

This, Warhawk is where I think MS is really 'diabolical' and condescending. Wall Bashing

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

If you've never done it before the partitioning is the hard part. I was able to use fdisk for that and format after that. I didn't need any third party software.

fdisk is an MS DOS utility. You partition first then format.

You may have thought I was talking about running FS 2004 in Windows 98 compatibility mode and that isn't what I'm doing. I have two operating systems installed, one on each partition. At startup I can select which I want to use.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

WarHawk42 wrote:

If you've never done it before the partitioning is the hard part. I was able to use fdisk for that and format after that. I didn't need any third party software.

fdisk is an MS DOS utility. You partition first then format.

You may have thought I was talking about running FS 2004 in Windows 98 compatibility mode and that isn't what I'm doing. I have two operating systems installed, one on each partition. At startup I can select which I want to use.

Okay, I'm with you, Warhawk. I mistakenly thought 'fdisk' was 3rd party because I saw no reference to MS at all.

You partition first then format.

Yes, you did state that before, it is now crystal clear.
I completely understand your dual-boot option as in being able to choose from two different OSs.

Now with the "partition first" in mind, I just found a reference to 'fdisk' in these instructions ➡ http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,73826,00.asp

This is what it says

The installation routines of Windows NT, 2000, and XP give you some control over partitions. Other versions of Windows come with FDISK, a basic partitioning utility that you copy to a bootable floppy.

To sum up, it appears FDISK is not compatible with Windows XP and if I want to partition a HDD which has been formatted, I do need 3rd party software.

Dont Know

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

If you ever used Windows 98 and made the startup disk then you have fdisk on it. That is what I use. The startup disk contained a number of basic DOS utilities among them is fdisk and format. You don't need any third party software if you have that startup disk.

At the point you run fdisk you are creating a whole new setup, there is no OS. That is why you need the startup disk. Your hard drive is a blank sheet of paper so to speak. You are running from that bootable startup disk until you run fdisk to partition, format the drives and install an OS.

When you partition your hard drive you have what in essence is more than one drive, they are just on the same hard drive. For instance, in my case I partitioned the hard drive into two drives. They become "C" drive and "D" drive. When I go to Windows Explorer it shows both a C drive and a D drive, both hard drives but in reality it's one hard drive divided into two parts.

I installed Windows 98 on the D drive and then installed Windows XP on the C drive. Microsoft says to install XP last.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

If you ever used Windows 98 and made the startup disk then you have fdisk on it.

I don't have Windows 98 therefore I don't have the startup disk. I'm still not convinced that fdisk is compatible with Windows XP.

At the point you run fdisk you are creating a whole new setup, there is no OS. That is why you need the startup disk.

That would indicate that if I don't have Windows 98, I cannot reformat?

Your hard drive is a blank sheet of paper so to speak.

Since my HDD has already been formatted once (at its conception) - how do I arrive at the 'blank sheet' - I understood wiping the HDD is part of the reformatting procedure.

You are running from that bootable startup disk until you run fdisk to partition

Is 'that bootable startup disk' the Windows XP Installation Disk in my case?

I understand that by partitioning you're creating more than one (virtual) drive on one and the same physical HDD.

iberworld-pilot Guest

a good solution is download the program disk defragment if you havent got it

defrag flight sim 9 hard drive and delete unused/unwanted files

iberworld-pilot Guest

a good solution is download the program disk defragment if you havent got it

defrag flight sim 9 hard drive and delete unused/unwanted files

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...