Helo from newbie

Pro Member Trainee
mustangpilot Trainee

Hi

Just wanted to say hi and hope to gleem loads of tips from this great forum/website. Getting FS2004 next week and a joystick tomorrow. I used to have 2002 which was great but gave it up when my PC went south!! 😞

Anyway back in the cockpit soon!!

Answers 18 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

Welcome to flyaway, here's to safe landings (to be consumed after landings only of course! 😉 ) 🍻

Pro Member Captain
Karlw Captain

Welcome to flyaway you will find this place a very good place to talk about aircraft flight sim Welcome to flyaway 🍻 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Welcome 🍻

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

Welcome and enjoy

Pro Member First Officer
Odyssey First Officer

Welcome to flyaway. Believe me, your knowledge of flight-simming will be greatly expanded now that you are a memebr of probably the best flight simulator forum on the net.
Enjoy 🙂 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Welcome mustangpilot,

nice to meet yet another P-51 fanatic. In case you're not familiar with it yet, Shigeru Tanaka's is the best freeware available for FS2004. Complete, no fixes or updates required.

The page takes a while to load if your connection is slow. Just click on one of the framed pictures for the file the name is stpma.zip.

Amazing what you can get for a file the size of only 6,7 megs and for free! 😀

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

Welcome Mustangpilot, glad you're with us! 😀

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

mustangpilot i must ask you not to encourage Tailhook, he's just changed his avatar to a P-51, we'll never control him now! 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Too right Welshflyer!

I'll tear the wings off your mythical dragon in my Mustang any time. At least mine can actually fly Tongue

Last edited by Tailhook on Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Trainee
mustangpilot Trainee

😂 Cheers peeps.

I have been into aircraft for about 20 years and have spent many a happy hour flying model aircraft in my spare time. Then kids came along and it all had to stop so i went over to FS 2002 which i thought at the time was awesome so 2004 will be mind blowing hopefully. I'm getting my joystick today and FS century of flight at the end of the week.

One Question about century of Flight, Is it exactly the same as 2004 but with extra historic aircraft? Do you get all the planes that come with the orig 2004 software?

Cheers

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

FS2004, fs9 or A Century Of Flight or ACOF is one and the same sim. Unlike in the FS2002 sim where you had a standard and a professional version, this one, the FS2004 only has one version. We call it fs9 bcause it's the ninth incarnation of MS Flightsim and of course, quicker to type.
That's why the most recent version of MS FS is called FSX -- X being the Roman numeral for 10 as you know.
Unfortunately, this FSX comes in two different versions again: Standard (I think) and DeLuxe.

IMO as it stands at the moment you can't go wrong with fs9 as the file libraries are full of freeware files and a myriad of payware add-ons are available too. fs9 is well seasoned (like a good wine) and by no means out of date. It will take some time yet for most of us who already own FSX to run it satisfactorily and my suspicion is that many of the developers aren't in a rush to produce new add-ons as they are well aware of the dilemma.

I hope I have answered your question. Keep us updated 👍

Pro Member Trainee
mustangpilot Trainee

Tailhook

Cheers bud, you have certainly cleared a few things up for me!! 👍

I have only been looking on the net for FS stuff for a few days and i must say I'm blown away by how much there is in the way of add ons! I'm going to get Combat FS today too so i will be able to import the aircraft from that to FS9 if it can still be done.

All very exciting!! 😂

Pro Member Trainee
lowensteinbs Trainee

Welcome Mustangpilot.

You have joined the best site for flight simmers. There has not been a question that I have posed that has gone unanswered. The people on here are always willing to help and full of information.

Enjoy the site and the sim.
Maybe we will see you in there air sometime.

Pro Member Trainee
mustangpilot Trainee

That's what i like to hear!! 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Welcome aboard Mustangpilot 😀 🍻

Pro Member Trainee
mustangpilot Trainee

Cheers 🍻

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

mustangpilot wrote:

I'm going to get Combat FS today too so i will be able to import the aircraft from that to FS9 if it can still be done.

I hope it's not too late: If you get CFS3, the aircraft are not compatible with fs9. I have in the past imported aircraft from CFS2 into fs9, but they didn't work as well as they would in FS2002.

The low-down: The best combat aircraft no matter what size or kind are available as freeware and/or payware for fs9 - and since they were developed for fs9, they work well.

No doubt you are aware that even when you could import CFS aircraft into FS, bombs and other WMDs don't work anyway.

Wings Of Power have beautifully crafted WWII fighters and bombers for fs9.

http://www.shockwaveproductions.com/wingsofpower/

Alphasim is another good source for military aircraft. They periodically turn some of their payware into freeware.

If you're keen on British military in particular, stop by at UKMIL:

http://www.ukmil.org.uk/ 😀

Pro Member Trainee
mustangpilot Trainee

Cheers Tailhook. Looks damn good!! Since coming back to FS i can not believe how many add ons there are and the fact you can paint your own aircraft is just amazing!! I think many many many hours will be spent on this sim.he he!!!

Just seen the Alphasim site and downloaded some of the movies and i swear that some of the shots look real!! The way the light & reflection changes on the planes as they move is just mind blowing! Hope my graphics card is up to it!!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...