Newbie playing FS2004 - help needed please

Pro Member Trainee
jonnyboy21 Trainee

Hi

I picked up FS2004 and proceeded to do the first lessons etc - they went pretty well except I got annoyed when in a couple Rod ended the lesson cos I "appeared distracted?!", especially in the solo flight it was annoying because i was about to land. I'm having a few troubles:

Landings - despite completing the lesson, I find it difficult to land properly on the runway - any tips please?

Taxiing - no matter how hard I try gently upping the throttle and gently turning, I can never do this properly! I would like to do it even though I can still take-off half off the runway Wink

Flight planning, heading indicator - despite when I make a flight plan when I create a new flight to embark on, the heading indicator seems to be random. Is there a way to set the heading indicator to my destination so I can just follow that all the way? It'd make it much easier for me as a newbie to practice short flights. Is there a software that can do this otherwise perhaps?

Are there any newbie easy to understand articles I can read to help me too as I'm clearly struggling? I read some of the ground lessons but the terminology is so complicated it expects you to be an aviation expert lol.

Finally, is FSX more newbie friendly and worth getting? 🙂

Many Thanks for your help in advance guys,

jonnyboy21

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

Rod's jokes are so irritatingly bad i quit the lessons after the solo bit. I mean, you can either see the joke coming before he tells it, or it's so random and not funny that you want to shoot yourself.

Sorry, rant over 🙂

Are you flying with a joystick or with a mouse? If it's a joystick, does it have a rudder axis? Having a physical axis to control your rudder with makes taxiing a whole lot easier.

Other than that, my advice is to use smooth, small control inputs, don't overcorrect, and plan ahead. Keep an eye on all your instruments, concentrate on maintaining the right airspeed, heading, and altitude. (The vertical speed indicator really helps with altitude.)

Pro Member Trainee
jonnyboy21 Trainee

I'm using a keyboard, I don't have a joystick. Thanks for the advice - answers to the other questions please? 🙂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...