fs2002 or 2004 realism

Pro Member Trainee
Dorianee Trainee

when i say realism i dont mean like the fact that fs2004 is "prettier" than 2002.....i mean like as far as navigation and how things like weather affect the aircraft.....wich is better....or are they equal?

Answers 18 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Dorianee wrote:

when i say realism i dont mean like the fact that fs2004 is "prettier" than 2002.....i mean like as far as navigation and how things like weather affect the aircraft.....wich is better....or are they equal?

The navigation radios are the same but the nav data base and airport data has been updated to 2004. The weather effects are similar. When you consider that you get great historical aircraft, better modern aircraft and a better all around sim for $19.95 at Walmart, why not up grade. You can then take advantage of all of the great downloads that are FS9 only.

Some people may ask what the major differences between the previous titles and this one. The core differences between older versions are:

? Worldwide scenery with accurate 3D terrain and auto-gen objects that fill in the world with appropriate buildings and vegetation no matter where you fly.

? Jeppesen NavData database, including VORs, NDBs, ILS, low- and high-altitude airways, intersections

? Approximately 24,000 airports worldwide (increased from about 22,000 in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002).

? Flight planner to create realistic VFR and IFR flight plans and navigation logs

? Flight analysis to play back a flight on a moving map that shows ground track, key flight data, and a vertical profile

? Instructor's station--link two PCs so that one pilot can observe a Flight Simulator session, change weather, fail systems, and provide comments and help via a chat window.

? IFR training panels for selected aircraft that include all key instruments, avionics, and controls in one window for realistic IFR flights.

? Multiplayer capability over a local network or the Internet.

Pro Member Trainee
Dorianee Trainee

thanks for yor help...it answered my question........ive had fs2004 for a year and ahalf now....its just that my pc can't nadle it at the level that i want.....so i just started 2002 again until i can upgrade

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

👍 FS2002 is still usable and should work well for you. I am is a similar situation, my computer won't handle FSX.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

"? Worldwide scenery with accurate 3D terrain and auto-gen objects that fill in the world with appropriate buildings and vegetation no matter where you fly. "

HEE HEE HEE.

Not quite... just in pittsburgh alone i have noticed some landform anomalies that do not match rl. But luckily brilliant ppl have created new meshes that fit seamlessly and make the area look better. Thank God for addons.

Pro Member Trainee
Dorianee Trainee

lol....yes you are rite about that........at my home airport koak in the sf bar area...i see 737's doing traffic patterns going into the airport all day long....and thats at about 2.5 thousand feet....but in fs if you fly at that altitude you might run into a hill side!

Pro Member Trainee
Dorianee Trainee

oh and 1 more thing about realism......actually a couple........is it possible to start with the engines turned off???.......and ive looked at fs default aircraft you cant start completely from scratch....and by that...i mean start with the fuel flow....the battery.....ect stuff like that.....where can i get a plane like that preferably smaller than a 767......

Pro Member Chief Captain

I have that issue also... so far I have not figured out how to make it start with engines off... but that is usually the first thing I do is turn everything back off, then start all over after my passengers have boarded.

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

Start your flight in a Cessna 172 (default). Cut the engine and battery. Then use the "Aircraft" menu to switch to the plane you really want to fly.

It's a workaround, but it does seem good.

Pro Member Chief Captain

If I am gonna do that Antone I may as well do it the way I do it now... it will take less time to simply turn off my 737's engines than it will take to turn off the cessna, THEN switch to the 737 and make sure I am lined up at the jetway.

Does anyone KNOW of a mod that will start you out with a cold engine???

Pro Member Trainee
AO001 Trainee

antone wrote:

Start your flight in a Cessna 172 (default). Cut the engine and battery. Then use the "Aircraft" menu to switch to the plane you really want to fly.

It's a workaround, but it does seem good.

Would you be able to correct weight and balance by this method?

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

Another work around is to save the flight after you have shut down. Then bring the flight up and use world and go to the airport you desire you can place it at the gate etc.

Pro Member Trainee
Dorianee Trainee

oh that makes sense........but how do i fix the wait and balance of freeware planes....i downloaded a 737-200 and the center of weight was at the nose and thats y my flights were kinda messed up...................oh and 1 more thing....lol.....wake turbulence....u know when an airplan takes off in front of you and you right after and you feel the turbulent air affect your airplane....how do u get that........i never realized how not real msfs really is

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

AO001 wrote:

Would you be able to correct weight and balance by this method?

No, you wouldn't. I mean, of course you can make the corrections, but you'd have to do it after you loaded your "real" aircraft, and you'd have to do it every time.

If you want to start cold and dark, the only other option would be to set it all up then save the flight.

Pro Member Trainee
Dorianee Trainee

what about damage.....like if u over do something....or missuse the airplane a system will go bonkers or engines will fail and u have to attemptto restart them....u know stuff that real jet-liners go through......how can u make fs do things like that?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Dorianee... FS Passengers has a failure setting you can set. I have had an engine failure before in my starboard engine at about 26000 feet, on my way to Tampa. You hear your copilot say "uh oh we have a flameout" and then the next few minutes gets REAL interesting!!! Sadly I had a power outage in my area before I could land at a divert airfield. Since it is a random setting you have at least a 5% chance of having some kind of failure if you fly an FSPassengers flight.

My favorite are the fuel leaks... nothing like watching your gas numbers plummet and going OMG... quick turn off the pump!

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

The only bad thing is that FSP is not connected with the FS9 ATC, so once you declare an emergency with FSP, you can't declare it with the ATC. Also, passangers woulkd be outraged if you don't land on the right airport. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

ungrateful things... passengers... I just saved your life and you wanna sue me cause i did not land in miami?!?!?!

Pro Member Trainee
FHeselton Trainee

Watch your flight plans, especially tran atlantic. I have flown from Washington Dulles and JFK to London, Paris, and Frankfurt and have had to basically manually create my flight plan as FS-9 send me to Alaska then back across the Atlantic. The return trip crosses the Atlantic to Alaska then back to the East coast of the US/Canada. Make for a very Looooong flight.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...