How to Play Microsoft Flight Simulator on Oculus Quest 2/3

David Hall Guest

So, I have got Microsoft Flight Simulator installed on my high-end PC ready for VR.  I have both the Oculus Quest 3 and my daughter has the Oculus Quest 2.

I want to be able to run the flight simulator in VR mode on both headsets.

I am completely new to this.  I have extensive PC and flight sim knowledge however I have no experience in integrating the Oculus for VR.

I need a complete, exhaustive, and extensive guide on how to use the Oculus Quest 2 and Oculus Quest 3 with Microsoft Flight Simulator installed on my PC - can anyone help?

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello there!

You've embarked on an exciting journey by deciding to merge the immersive world of VR with the realism of Microsoft Flight Simulator. As someone with considerable flight sim and PC knowledge, you'll find this process engaging, though it does have its nuances.

Step 1: Preparing Your PC and VR Headsets

• First, ensure your PC's software is up to date. This includes your graphics drivers and Windows OS.
  • For the Oculus Quest 2 and 3, ensure they are running the latest firmware.

Step 2: Oculus Software Installation

• Download and install the Oculus software from Oculus Setup. This is crucial for the Oculus Link, which allows the Quest to connect to your PC.
  • Once installed, open the Oculus software and connect your headset using a high-quality USB 3.0 cable or via Air Link for a wireless connection.

Step 3: Enabling Oculus Link

• Put on your headset and enable Oculus Link when prompted. This turns your Oculus Quest into a PC VR headset.

Step 4: SteamVR Setup (If Applicable)

• If you have the Steam version of Microsoft Flight Simulator, install SteamVR from the Steam store.
  • Run SteamVR once to ensure all necessary drivers are installed.

Step 5: Microsoft Flight Simulator VR Settings

• Launch Microsoft Flight Simulator. Go to the VR settings and select your Oculus headset as the default device.
  • Adjust the graphics settings to balance performance and visual fidelity. This might take some trial and error based on your PC's capabilities.

Step 6: Final Adjustments

• In the Oculus software, explore the settings to optimize your experience. This includes adjusting the guardian boundary to avoid real-world collisions.
  • Experiment with different in-game settings for the best balance of performance and visual quality.

Additional Tips:

• Ensure your play area is clear of obstacles.
  • For optimal performance, consider using a wired connection via Oculus Link Cable.
  • Regularly update both the Oculus software and Microsoft Flight Simulator for the best experience.

In Conclusion
Integrating VR into your flight sim experience transforms how you interact with the virtual skies. It might take a bit of tweaking to get everything running smoothly, but the result is well worth the effort.

If you have specific queries or face any hurdles during the setup, feel free to ask for more details, and I'll provide further assistance.

Safe virtual skies and happy flying!

Donald Kowalewski Guest

Ian Stephens (ianstephens)Captain

Where is this option to Select the Oculus 3 as the default VR device?  My MSFS consistently replies, "No VR device detected", yet all other VR apps seem to be working.

Herbflight Guest

CTRL/Tab switches to VR mode.

Charles Riley Guest

Following your instructions to get my Meta Quest 3 working with MSFS2020 VR, I come to the instruction to set my "Oculus Headset As The Default Device".  I can't find any setting in MSFS VR settings for Default Device, Device being a Display?

Note - Not running Steam version!

Charlie

tptr Guest

Did you manage to find this setting?  I can't seem to get MSFS to find my headset although wired link is working.

J. Floyd Guest

Go inot the Oculus (Meta) application settings>General>OpenXR Runtime and click set Meat Quest Link as...

Now MSFS will detect headset.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...