PMDG 737NG vs. LDS 767

Continental 1123 Guest

Hey guys i am new to buying aircraft but i am about to. I am just wondering what would be the better plane to buy.. the PMDG 737NG or the Level D Sim 767. I can now fly the Default 737-400 so i thought maybe the PMDG but id like to get some of your thoughts...

Thanks guys..Please Reply.

Answers 22 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

They're really two very different beasts. Just in terms of aircraft, the 767 is HUGE compared to the 737s, and certainly feels like it! Do you feel like learning how to fly a big aircraft, learning all the techniques of landing heavy-weights, flying passengers across continenets or thousands of miles away? Or would you rather something that almost becomes an extension of your arm, easily landable, offering plenty of short trips?

As far as the models these companies offer, you won't go wrong with either one, but both have a steep learning curve. I don't think that I could make a fair assesment of LDS's learning curve, having the PMDG as a background. Be warned, they are VERY different from any default aircraft. It will take plenty of reading and several tries before you even get the enginges turned on!, let alone all of the other systems necessary to make a smooth flight.

The FMC is something new for you to learn and they are nearly identical in both aircraft. They both require data entry (i.e. payload, gross weight, position, manual entry of the route, etc.), and a pretty good feel for the interaction between these and the different stages of flight / autopilot. This usually takes the longest to learn, but you'll find dozens of great tutorials and walkthroughs to use with it.

As far as the main panels and VC, LDS 767 wins the prize on this one. I see a HUGE improvement in framerates when I'm using the 767 vs PMDG's. The VC is also very smooth, even offering window reflections and a working windshield wiper! However, as far as the instumentation itself, the 737 certianly looks more appealing. The switches, gauges, everything feels more intimate and easier to read. Becoming familiar with it all certianly takes less time than that of a 767. You'll find that the 767's cockpit is far more crowded, harder to read, and a bit more challenging to get comfortable with! So in that sense, PMDG gets my vote, frame rates or not.

When it comes to actually handling the aircraft, LDS wins without a question on my part. It certainly is more challenging since it's obviously a very large/heavy aircraft (therefore landing certainly isn't as easy!), but the smooth taxing, the steady controlled turns, all those things a bout it make this a wonderful aircraft! The PMDG is certainly more touchy in that regard.

I wish I could just say "because of the better frame rates and nicer visual model, ground/flight crew interactions, and smoother flight controls, go with the LDS 767" or "because of it's nicer layout, more intimate cockpit, and a more practical range, go with the PMDG 737", but it's not that easy. LDS certainly has better ratings in my book, but I almost feel it that had to be earned.

Well, goodluck! and whatever you choose, enjoy the learning curve ahead....muahahaha....

Continental 1123 Guest

Thank you so much for your information and opinion. Idont have that high tech of a computer...a 128mb video card (Geforce) and framerates are extremely important. So i would tendtothink by your take the 767 is a better deal. Im not sure if i would be able to learn how to fly the 767 though...So maybe if i could get some advice on that...But im deffinetly leaningtowards the LDS 767.

Thanks again..And please reply..

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Everything originalgrunge said in his post I have to agree with Bow Down

Whichever you go for be prepaired for some heavy Read cos you aint going to get off the ground
Both aircraft have very good manuals(you can d/load the Level D manual from its site before hand and have a look)though I quickly skipped through the Level D one as its much the same as the PMDG

I like both aircraft,but seem to be flying the 767 a lot(maybe because its new)

I also think the 767 is a bit easier to get going with,not quite so complex to get up and running

There is nothing like having a program on a disc,like the PMDG,but the Level D is just a d/load away and can be backed up to cdr

Price and speed wise the 767 wins because you can d/load and fly almost straight away

There,Ive confused myself which one I like best Doh!

Maybe you buy one and like it so much........................you buy the other aswell

Which ever you go for you will not be dissapointed

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

I'd have to go firmly in the corner of the 737NG overall, but as both guys said, there is a phenomenal amount to learn - but when you've learned it all and can operate all aspects of the Aricraft, you can be proud of yourself because you're simulating around 95% of the real aircrafts operation.... It is nothing like the default airliners.... you need to learn about Bleed Air, Hydraulics, Generators, APUs, the Flight Management Computer, etc.

A lot of people get bored with the learning or give up out of frustration but if you're interested enough you'll find that this truly is the most amazing and realistic add-on that's available.

I also like the Level D 767 and am flying it a lot right now, but I'm afraid my view is that it's not quite in the same league - although it does have some interesting stuff that you don't get with other add-ons.

I recently upgraded my PC but before I did I had a spec similar to yours and I got very similar Frame Rates between the 737NG and the default 737-400 (PC Pilot magazine backed this up in their review), but others have different experiances.

If this is your first "Complex" add-on, you may actually be better off getting something like the PSS / Just Flight Dash-8 or perhaps the PSS A320 first, as these are easier to learn but are still complex and get you into the right frame of mind for learning the "ultimate" 737NG !

Good luck - if you get stuck in starting the engines, refer to a post I put on here some time ago where I broke down the steps involved.

Continental 1123 Guest

WoW..
I cant believe how helpful you all have been.. Because i am new to this, i may get the 737NG...I like the fact that it is so realistic. I also like how you get three planes out of the deal and also may more liveries than the 767. I appriciate your replies and I really would like it if more people would state the views on this. It would be a great help.

Thanks alot..and keep posting.

Continental 1123 Guest

Here are my specs.....so if you could recomend one of the two planes from these specs..

128mb ddr ram PCI GeForce MX4000 Plus Graphix Card
256mb DDR SDRAM at 266MHz
60GB Ultra Hard Drive

benney25 Guest

also i had fs 2002 planing on geting fs 2004 just wondering wich is cheaper?

Pro Member Captain

The RAM is really gonna hurt you. I've got a 64 mb. video card, 1.9 ghz processor, and 768 mb ram, and with the sliders about half way I can run the PMDG at 12-16 fps and the LDS at 18-24 (this is in high traffic area, obviosuly this gets much higher in less dense areas). Before compressing the flight sim folder, and before buying an extra 512 of ram to upgrade mine to 768, i was getting half those frame rates.

As far as cost goes, I found LDS to be a better price. It's true that PMDG's base package is cheaper, but nearly everyone who owns it buys the expansion pack eventually (after they get comfortable with the craft) which tacks on another $20-30.

I think after a day of noodle scratching, I've finally made my decision! Of the two, LDS is my favorite =).

continental 1123 Guest

Thank you original but see...for jets..i can only fly the 737-400...i have also heard that with my specs now..the LDS wouldnt work as well...but i have heard it is better on fps..but could you just sum up with my specs how each would work,....and a little mre on the "expansion pack"

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

I don't have the 767 but I do have the 737NG. I nearly gave up on it however because it is just so complex. However this was because of the steep learning curve and once you've managed to start the APU and then the engines it is HUGELY satisfying.

As for frame rates, I've just upgraded from a P1700+ with a 128Mb Radeon 9800Pro & 512Mb RAM. It was horrendously slow and unflyable. However my 3500+ with 256Mb PCI-E X-700 and 1Gb RAM handles it well, even at add-on arports which are complex.

Dave

Pro Member Captain

Yes, you will struggle to get good performance out of either of these add-ons to be honest, because of your RAM.

Your Graphics Card is fine at 128Mb, but 256Mb of RAM just ain't enough if you're wanting to get into complex flight simming.

Spending some hard earned cash at www.crucial.com to buy more RAM may be your best idea, for starters.

If you run with 1024Mb RAM, performance will virtually never be an issue.

I recently upgraded to 2048Mb of RAM but to be honest the difference between that and the 1024Mb is very very minimal, and I wish I had saved the £90 ($130) and put it towards a 17" monitor !

I agree with the other guys, Level D 767 is cheaper but it's Download only at the moment (I always go for CD versions if I can).

The 737NG is available in most high street Games stores, on CD.

Skymuncher Guest

Hey guys,

I have a question that goes in the same way: I have A320 Pilot in command (the only payware airliner that I have). It is running kind of slow on my config 😞 and I'd like to know if the LDS 767 would cause me too many trouble on performance. My config: Pentium IV 2.4GHz 512 Mo Ram GeForce 4 Ti 4200

Thanks for your help
🙂

Pro Member Captain

LDS is very framerate friendly. You'll find that it slows down a little, but my computer (aside from ram) is slower than yours and runs okay!

Skymuncher Guest

Thanks a lot for your answer 🙂

continental 1123 Guest

hey guys....my config: 256mb RAM, 128mb GeForce 4000MX PLus Grafix, 2.2Gh processor.....how would the LDS 767 run?

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

How does fs9 run ? 😳

Your low in the gfx and memory depts

Pro Member Captain

The 256 is really going to be your problem. The sim will run great with your processor and video card (since it's not that heavy on those), but the RAM is definitly going to be an issue. Depending on how you have the scenery configured i'd expect single didgit FPS when your'e anywhere but cruising altitude.

Pro Member Captain

Agree - I'd hold off buying any of the good add-ons yet and invest in a couple of 512Mb matched RAM blocks first.

Pro Member First Officer
Greg (FL050) First Officer

I am also thinking about buying the 737NG. Do you think the expansion pack is worth it?

My system specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
1024MB Kingston HyperX PC3500
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Those are the main components. I built the PC on my own. I know I need a better video card and processor, but I am in college and aren't worrying about that stuff now.

Besides, when I REALLY feel like flying, I go out to the airport and fly a Cessna 152, but atleast its real flying 😉

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

Before the upgrade, my 9800Pro wasn't too bad but my lowly 1700 Processor let it down so I think your hardware will run the 737NG ok.

The upgrade will be the 800/900 right? I have it, but I personally think that the retail of nearly 28 of your American dollars is a little steep. If you can get it cheaper then it would offer better value for money.

Dave

Pro Member Captain

The upgrade may take some getting used to (new looks/night lighting / TCAS procedures), but it's a nice touch. I certainly am glad I made the investment, and can't really imagine what flying without the upgrade was like. Even though I don't get a chance to fly the 800/900 series that often, the panel-retro-fit makes the 600/700 models look very nice.

Pro Member First Officer
Greg (FL050) First Officer

originalgrunge wrote:

The upgrade may take some getting used to (new looks/night lighting / TCAS procedures), but it's a nice touch. I certainly am glad I made the investment, and can't really imagine what flying without the upgrade was like. Even though I don't get a chance to fly the 800/900 series that often, the panel-retro-fit makes the 600/700 models look very nice.

Cool deal. I just got the 737NG last night and am going to start reading up on the manuals and stuff.

But I got in-game last night after installing it and the panels seemed a little unclear, but I heard the expansion, the 800/900, really cleared this up.

Also, do you have any idea on how to install the livery's from the pmdg website?

I downloaded the .exe of one and went to install it and it said it couldn't open the folder to install the files and then it closes itself. I did this with several liveries and all got the same error.

Also, doesn't this thing come with a manual? Where is it located?

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...